Radial VS> Bias tires.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I've got a deaired 83 1100 std. I'm wondering if I can or should switch to radial tires when I get new rubber in the spring.
Is there an advantage in handleing, ride, or wear over the old style bias ply tires? I haveno complaints th the Dunlops I've been running over the past fiveyears I've had the wing. Wouldn'thave repurchased them if I had. Just wondering if the extra cost is worth it. Right now my wing has got progressive springs and shocks on it. Thanx! :Egyptian:

I'm concerned putting radials on it since I can't recall anyone every trying them and I'm chicken to be the first.
I'd stick with bias ply only because I couldn't afford to get a second set of bias ply's if radials didn't work out.

Don't know if this will help you but here is some technical information concerning radials and bias ply tires.
Radials will give a softer ride than bias ply. It may feel more "squishy".
The way the two types of tire are designed are different from the other. The "crown" of the tire is an imaginary line drawn around the center of the tire at the treads highest point.

Bias

Bias tires can have either nylon or steel belt plies that run at a 40 degree angle to the crown starting at one bead and running under the tread to the other bead. Generally there at least 6 plies but that depends on the tire manufacturer. With plies running from bead to bead and being more plies, it makes for stiff sidewalls.

Radial:

Radial tires have steel belts (plies) that run at a 20 degree angle to the crown of the tire. MT that is of the radial design has 4-6 plies run from bead to bead to give a stiffer sidewall that a MT requires.

I put Michelin radials on my full dress 750A years ago, and they were the best thing ever, imho. I rode the crap outta that thing, and the radials were always up to the task, never had any directional/stability issues, or wear problems. I was told at the time that I had bought the first set of these particular tires in the area, so I was kinda being the guinea pig for the local bike shop. The ONLY problem I had with them was mounting them....dang things were 4 times as hard to mount than normal bias ply tires. I fought with them dam things for several hours before getting both mounted, but in the end, I think the effort was well worth it. The bike was always a cruizer, but with the radials, it made a HUGE difference in the ride quality, and I could still lay it over on the pipes at 75-80mph in a long sweeping curve, and it never wiggled.

I would love to put a set on the 'Wing, but the $$$$ right now is just out of the question, and really....how much cushier could a 'Wing get, ride wise? :Egyptian:

joedrum":1a4i8t8x said:
i just buy whatever i can afford none last long ...and no one has tires that are much better than others ..i guess im no expert here at all :headscratch:
Joe...stop cleaning your tires with a bench grinder!! The rubber will never hold up! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Well boys, looks like I'm stuck with bias ply rubber. It appears that know one makes a tire to fit the front on an 83. :headscratch:

I think those are bias ply. It's the radial front in 120/90 18 that they can't get. No biggy! Thanx though.

chasrogers":1k4grt7c said:
hmm might be a changed wheel by the manual 1983 had 3.50H19 for the front wheel here is the page i got that of of and that is what I searched for
No No, that's not right chas.
Your attachment is of a 1000. The question is for 1983 1100 front.
Here is the page from the owners manual.

(Click to gallery album larger view)

Thank you. I was gonna say I didn't see 1983 on his page either. My size came from the dealer I trust as well as mother Honda service manual and Mr. Clymer! :rtfm:
IMG_00000018.jpg

Slightly lower profile but wider. Might rub with the added radial flex. No thanx. Right size or no size. Not worth the risk. :thank_you:

The speedo isn't a concern. It's the potential for a side wall failure from rubbing somewhere that worries me. :whistling: