Radio Volume

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Winger

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm no radio or electrical guru so I am hoping someone here is. My new 86 Interstate has a new JVC stereo and new speakers. Don't remember the name but these are the specs(They are cheap Walmart speakers BTW):

Scosche HD4003 - 4" 3-Way Car Speakers:

3-way design
Injection molded polypropylene cone
Durable rubber surround
4 OHM impedance
150W max (30W rated)
Oversized 6 oz trontium magnet
1" copper-wound voicecoil
Designed for 2 or 4 hole factory mounting locations

These are the spec for the JVC unit:

Audio

Audio Channels: 4
RMS Output Power: 80 W
Number of Equalizer Presets: 5
Equalizer Modes: Volume, Bass, Treble
Equalizer Bands: Parametric
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 80 dB
Audio Formats: CD-DA, MP3, WMA

So, now to my problem. Everything works and sounds fine but I get very little volume. It is plenty loud to hear when the bike is not running but even then it's not real loud like a car stereo. But when I'm driving 60mph, I can barely hear it.

Would new higher watt speakers give more volume? Is something maybe set up incorrectly? Do I need an amp?

Thanks in advance!

Well speakers can handle 150 watts input and stereo has 80 watts max output. A 60 watt amp might just be the answer.

Same problem I have with my stock stereo, same problem I have heard from folks with theirs either stock or aftermarket.
You can add an amp but those small speakers will distort due to their small size, just no way to get louder unless you get a bigger speaker 6" minimum, trouble with larger amps may also be larger amp draw.
The stock stereo is designed with little watts and efficient speakers, high efficient speakers may be a better option because it will take whatever watts you have and make the speaker louder but there again I cant say if that will be enough.
If I were speaker shopping myself I would pay attention to the efficiency rating. 92Db and higher is good.

Size matters. The high end Polk speakers I just put in the dash on Crystal sound better than stock but BASS is lacking. I'm playing with idea of moving them to the back and cutting holes in the dash where the current speakers are and mounting 6" from the front.

~O~