Rear Master Cyl. fix .

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
My rear brakes have never been all the great on my 1980 Goldwing. . I have flushed new fluid through it a couple of times , changed Rotors , New Pads , still the same , always had to Pump the brakes to stop . sooooo a few days ago I got on to take ride and Nothing... not a sign of a brake , it was full of Brake Fluid but....just like nothing when I pushed the brake pedal . so it sit a few days , I went by the Honda shop , they said they didn't have a kit for it , and couldn't get one . sooooooo.........to my story . I took the Master Cylinder off the bike , took it all apart , and there is 2 little rubber plungers inside it about half the size of a dime. one of mine had a broke place in it. .. so, I was about to look for another Master Cylinder and weld brackets to make it fit on my Goldwing when I had this Idea. I had a Master Cylinder hanging on the wall of my Garage that I took off a 1980 GS750 Suzuki a few years ago . and no.....it wouldn't Fit.... but , I took it apart , and you can believe me when I say every piece inside it was exactly the same as my 1980 GL1100 Goldwing. Perfect fit... and the only time in almost 2 years that my Goldwing has really had good brakes. .... now I haven't checked to see if I could buy a 1980 GS750 Master Cylinder rebuild kit. but..... who knows , Maybe. I just wanted to let everybody know , that they WILL FIT.

Ohhhhhhh........well, I didn't know we could still get rebuild kits for them . . . but , yeah I thought it was something that a Suzuki part fit like that.

sledge":s87y8thi said:
Ohhhhhhh........well, I didn't know we could still get rebuild kits for them . . . but , yeah I thought it was something that a Suzuki part fit like that.

A lot of companies use the same supplier. They spec on performance, so the supplier is going to use a one size fits all approach for the guts to maximise profits.

dan filipi":hrizdk7p said:
Has anyone figured out a newer model crossover for a complete master cylinder without having to modify mounting or hookup, or at least minimal mods?

shadow Ace? They have a pretty Aluminium MC with a 1 inch clamp. All you need to do is get a custom lead brake line IIRC.

realy macka you ought to see the bike that sledge has got all done up just waiting for a good motor to put in it ...its realy nice he tried real hard with several motors that were just to far gone ....please look into it :mrgreen:

Oh yes , I wish I could find a good Water Buffalo motor , ( that I could Afford ) ..... 10 years ago , you couldn't give a Water Buffalo away . . and NOW , if you find any parts they are high dollar. but....thats life I reckon' .

is it as good as getting a gl1000 for free to get it off the property? I'm gonna ask the guy who has said gl1000, if he wants to move the older bike :good: . I may have to take both

i have been right in the middle of bringing back a sevearly stuck 1100 motor ...a lot try and free them heads on the bike .....but me personaly i usealy go and take the heads off so it can be seen and cleaned ...heads also ....when i first went to look at the motor they were convinced it was trash ....but i have seemed to have free it up nice and have good compression now ....let me know how much help and info you need on this ....i can do a follow along write up on it if you want...these motors are not bad to work on but a mistake can be realy bad ....if the timing gets off or while trying to time it once free :mrgreen:

Joe, I also just did my master cylinder with a new kit, they are pretty common online but that's a great alternative...It fit by accident... Sledge my bike is looking more and more like yours everyday...

Latest posts