Rear Wheel & Gearing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
I have a 1980 1100 , it has a 17" rear wheel . the Rear Tire is at least half wore out ... I also have a brand new 16" tire... and , I know its either 1981 or 1982 1100 , that had Comstar wheels but a 16" on the rear . And I think I know where I can get a 16" Comstar rear wheel . . . the question is . are all 1100's geared the same ??? in the Rear Wheel Hub ??? and if so , would the drop in rear wheel size make that much difference ??? I was thinking a small drop might give it more bottom end , but loose on the top if anything . but I was thinking maybe the 16" wheels were geared enough different to make up for the 1 " drop in tire size .

sledge the gearing in the final drive is the same and it will gain alittle as you said on the low end its not much ...the real difference is in the tire size ...the swingarm on the 80-81 uses a 130-90-17 tyre ,,,in 82-83 yrs the tire size was 14o-90-16 tire and is wider and the swing arm was made different along with the driveshaft and sleeve that fits to the final drive....the swingarm can be modified to get the clearence but im not sure yo can get around the longer sleeve 80-81 has as opposed to the 82-83 shoter sleeve ive never tried it ...if i was guessing id say yes you can but its just a guess....anyway its not a direct switch unless the tire you have is a 130-90-16 instead of a 140-90-16 ...and im not super possitive about that either...hope you understandwhat im saying sledge ...how are you and the wife try getting on chat line sometime best day to ya :mrgreen:

The 16" wheel on an 81 engine will raise your highway rpms 2-300 maybe more.
The take off from stop will turn your cruiser into a sport bike with lots of shifting.

I'd stay with the 17 inch wheel. I ran the 81 engine with a 16" wheel, loved the power but hated the higher rpm and all the shifting.

I am with joedrum I have an 80 and an 82 I put rhe 82 rear wheel on the 80 and wounf ruining the tire as the 140 was rubbinh on yhe swing arm just before it widende ort maby a 130 may work. The swing arms are slightly different i think.

will the Hub, ( Gears ) from the 17" fit right in a 16" wheel ??? so I would still be using MY orignal Hub and all except the rim and tire.

I found the 82 fit right in to the 80 just fine but only had it in for about a mile before the side wall began to melt off due to rubbing on the swing arm :head bang: :oops: the 140 no go :read: :read: Maby a 130 will , I don't know about gearing though... Someone else can fill you in on that...I know the front interchanged from 80 to 82 changes the tack and speedo readings :read: :blush: :blush: