Remote oil filter?????

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it's a cooler adaptor Randakk sells, sorry. https://www.randakks.com/Engine%20Parts.htm#2

I wonder if he might have a line on a filter relocation kit, might be worth sending an email to him.

Used to be performance shops all over here we could buy this custom stuff any day of the week, so many of them have closed up.

Yeah, I see ...I did some scoping around and am pretty discouraged at what it would cost if I even found one....I have been tinkering and I am dinking around with an old skidplate that I had laying around and am now trying to figure out the mounts....I cut out a place to at least drain the oil but will have to drop the plate to remove the filter....I think I will just go with this...thanks Dan,
Brian

Yeah the little I searched even car kits are running $250 plus.
I'm sure one could be had for less somewhere but since it might not fit or require mods to make it fit that'll up the cost.

I would make up the skid plate attached at the rear in such a way so it will swivel down once the front bolts are taken loose, or make it 2 piece.
Don't forget pics, Brian.

I used to own several Moto Guzzis, and changing the oil filter on those things was even more complicated. You had to remove the oil pan, and replace the cartridge inside, along with a new gasket. Several owners ended up breaking their pans because they didn't get all the bolts off (there's more than 10 of them). So there were a couple of companies that made adapters to put external spin-on type oil filters. Most had the filter at the bottom front of the engine, like this adapter, right behind the front tire.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep the cartridge filter encased in the housing, than have a spin-on type filter hanging out in the breeze like that, exposed to any rocks and other debris that the front tire would kick up. On the Guzzis, they also made an adapter that would put the spin-on filter at the rear of the engine, which to me makes a LOT more sense. If memory serves me correctly, there was a billet spacer that went between the stock oil pan and the bottom end of the engine, which didn't necessarily increase oil volume, but one had to make sure you got a new dipstick! Here's an example:

https://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/outsider.htm

If I was going to put an external spin-on type oil filter on the 'Wing, I'd prefer something like this. Or, if it's going on the front, there needs to be some kind of protective plate. If that's the case, why bother, just keep the stock setup?!

Hi Bruce, I think you may have misunderstood the point of the thread. I want to protect the underside of my engine, especially the oil filter housing and the water pump housing. I have a sidecar rig that I am taking on a long trip to Mexico where the tope's and rocks are hard and many.
I originally thought that if I could find a remote mounting kit for the oil filter, that would be completely out of the way and the skidplate/belly pan could be made to mount closer to the engine front.

Regardless, I have now built the skid plate and mounted it and am not longer interested in any change for the oil filter. I can carry a couple filters quite easily.

If you look at the belly pan thread, you can see a pic of the pan....if you have any ideas about how to re-engineer it to be stronger, I am all ears...
Thanks for the input,
Brian

Got it...went to the belly pan thread, and that clears things up. Looks like there's going to be a tradeoff between protection and ground clearance, but what you've made looks like it should protect the oil filter from any frontal damage. Would it be possible to attach some side panels, angled back towards the down tubes, to provide some side protection? Also, I'd swiss-cheese that plate with lots of little holes, to keep airflow going to the oil filter and bottom front part of the engine. You could always put some mesh screen behind it, just as an added layer of protection, without affecting air flow.

Cool project, one definitely driven by necessity.

bronzestarvue":1ptt0mm7 said:
On the Guzzis, they also made an adapter that would put the spin-on filter at the rear of the engine, which to me makes a LOT more sense.
I wonder if the GW's filter is there for ease of design, or maybe even to get some cooling benefit from being in front.

~O~

Yeah a trade-off for sure but as you say, a possible necessity. Oh well, I just need to ride slowly when on rough ground..
I do plan to drill some holes but so far I really don't see much difference in engine temps as it is...

I think I won't bother with side protection and hope I don't regret it but I have never heard of anyone bothering to do this much with a wing and plenty of wings are ridden where I plan to go...so this is really just a bit of overkill for a guy who likes to cover all his bets.... :headscratch:

Brian

How's that old saying go, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", or something like that? I think what you've got is pretty functional, certainly better than nothing at all. Looks like it will do the job, as long as you don't bottom out on anything, and bend those aluminum mounting straps!