Replacing your mirrors? Save the original OEM glass to go into the new housing!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the glass is simply glued to the housing, with some sort of silicon/rubber cement. Solvents, or lacquer thinner will loosen the glass, then it's just a matter of gluing the glass back in. I haven't taken the time to actually look at them, so I can't say for sure, but that is the way most mirror glass is installed. I bet I find out, one way or another! :mrgreen:

dan filipi":3jjidpw5 said:
Maybe soaking the whole thing in a thinner like acetone or even gas will soften the glue?
Gotta be a chemical that wont harm the chrome or mirror coating.

I bought a "pair" of mirrors thinking that a matching set of new would look better. But when they showed up with flat glass I was dissappointed. I needed to change the right side one because it wouldn't hardly stand up on it's own. I'll try to use chemical on the new left one today and see how it goes. We use an acetone/mix in bulk at work. So that'll be my first attempt.

I've used mineral spirits(naptha) on them many times. My '74 Vette has date coded mirror glass, and I've removed the glass to tighten the housing swivels several times in the past. So far, there has been no damage to the silvering of the glass. Don't know how good the silvering is on these 'Wing mirrors, but it should stand up otay....I hope.....
We'll find out! :mrgreen:

Ok man, here's the dope.....

The mirrors I bought.
img0105wu.jpg

There is nothing behind the mirror. It's held in place by the rubber seal. I tried to pry out the rubber seal on the new one and just as I feared, the flat glass busted.
img0106rk.jpg

So I used a razor blade to slice the outter lip off the old mirror to save the glass.
img0097oc.jpg

I then installed the old convex glass into the lip of the rubber from the new mirror.
This is how it looks seated into the new rubber.
img0098ne.jpg

img0100d.jpg

The glass w/new rubber didn't seem like it was gonna be easy to install back into the frame, and I didn't want to get too rough with it, so I used some silicon spray to aid in the assembly. The lubricant made all the difference in the world. It dropped into place so easily that I was afraid it would fall out at first, but upon further inspection I'm convinced it is indeed a proper fit.
img0104yo.jpg

So there you have it. Hope this helps somebody hang onto their original mirrors.

I have the EMGO brand on mine. I tightened them down as far as they would go, and the wind still moved them around on me. What I did to get them to stay tight was pretty simple. I took them off the bike, pulled the "tightening" screw out, then put an extra washer on top of the spring. Because the screw was fully seated before I put the washer on, the washer compressed the spring a little more, putting more pressure on the mirror post to keep it from moving.

Now, I don't remember if I put one, or two extra washers on it, but the washers did the trick. I haven't had to touch the mirrors in almost 2 years.

As for the convex mirrors, I just grabbed a couple of smaller convex mirrors (about an inch or so in diameter...sorry about using "about" again Randy! :smilie_happy: ) and stuck them to the lower outside corner of the mirror. Works fine for me.

My Standard has flat glass and I'm cool with those. But I think it's because they are mounted on the handlebars which puts them much closer. The ones on the Interstate are mounted to the front of the fairing which moves them too far away to provide a wide enough view. I can certainly see why they were slightly convex. Can't understand why they were outlawed?

And again I arrive when it's all over

I am a glazier and an auto glazier by trade and probably could have told you they where gunna be pressed in using a plastic or rubber thingy (gasket). we use to hate it when these things would come in without a good template to manufacture (copy ;) ) from

:beer:

After lubing the gasket and housing we used to place the mirror face down on a 'scruntched' up rag and then carefully line up the housing and then 'pop' it together in one quick CPR (cardio pulminay resusatation) ((spelling :head bang: )) type of motion :cool:

Dave":2lry2g53 said:
And again I arrive when it's all over

I am a glazier and an auto glazier by trade and probably could have told you they where gunna be pressed in using a plastic or rubber thingy (gasket). we use to hate it when these things would come in without a good template to manufacture (copy ;) ) from

:beer:

After lubing the gasket and housing we used to place the mirror face down on a 'scruntched' up rag and then carefully line up the housing and then 'pop' it together in one quick CPR (cardio pulminay resusatation) ((spelling :head bang: )) type of motion :cool:

There's the proof! You need to hang out with us more often! :salute: