Restore Wars 3 1984 Goldwing 1200 Starter turning with engin

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
I am fixing a 1984 Goldwing Interstate that has sat for awhile long time and I noted that the starter was turning when I turned the motor by hand. I have removed it. How do I test it and repair it if necessary?

Hmm...if the starter is turning while rotating engine in its normal direction, the starter clutch is probably frozen. That's an engine out repair.
I have an engine did the same thing. Starter clutch full of rust. Think water filled the engine and sat many years.

Does the starter turn when rotating the engine in both directions? The starter will turn if the engine is rotated counter-clockwise (looking at the front of the engine).

Hmm it only made sound when I reversed direction only on my turning so it might be OK since I wasn't turning it the rotation of running.

It's probably OK. There is a one-way clutch for the starter...it's located inside the alternator rotor. The starter only pulls the chain that's attached to this clutch. There is nothing in the starter itself that could cause the problem.

Thank you for all the quick help. I will have the peace of mind that I know the bike inside and out for the most part.

Latest posts