rich or lean?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it's either. Popping in the exhaust usually indicates air getting into the exhaust or loss of back pressure from removing the baffles. A very lean condition may cause it I suppose. Check the plugs if they clean as new it probably is lean. I'd also check for exhaust leaks especially at the heads.

I cant answer for too many things that are goldwing specific. If you are talking about high rpm and open throttle my other engines are usually experiencing spark delivery problems . If you get a miss or lag and then resumption of power and a miss again, then look for a rich condition.

If you wind it up and back off to get the popping then its generally been the exhaust leak mentioned.

As stated above it may be neither rick nor lean. Might as a last resort check the air cut valves on the carbs . I've had them cause a lot of popping if they get too out of shape.

I'm using the Motorcraft\Weber carb. It idles and revs fine but I hear what I would call popping (not bad) at sustained higher rpms. Maybe it's normal for a 35 year old bike. :headscratch: I've not had a Goldwing before so I don't have a reference point.

maybe even ignition points kinda bouncing at high rpm causing a miss or kinda popping noise. just one more possibility as we can't really hear what you describe. dave

still sounds lean to me ....the only thing that tells the story is the sustain high rpm part ...as ive jetted and dial in hooch bike i could get the bike to lean at high rpm and it will pop ...when it comes to my bike the dft 32-34 was way rich at idle ..first and biggest battle on carb ...then also once rpm gets over 5,000 lets say the little oldwing motors become big flowers ...as there rpm ability far surpasses car motors and the jetting can go real lean ...so if the motor is leaning out up top ..id say you need more gas jet and or less air bleed in secondary barrle to rich up high rpm running ...is what i think is going on ...weber are great carbs but they were made for car motors ...dialing them in for oldwings was manditory on my bike and motor set up ...i had the high rpm problem and got through it with just jetting ...it was the idle that really took some mods for me to get good ....all motors are different and mine certainly is lol

Ok, didnt realize it was on the stand. lots of my rigs act differently when rev'd on the stand. I dont know that I would start chasing anying unless you have a way to put a load on it. Water pumps work fine for that, but not usually worth the trouble. The single carb is another area I have great interest in, but no eperience on goldwings with. bugs are a different story :)

Latest posts