Ruh Roh!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Went out and fired up the 'Wing this evening, since it looks like I'm gonna be able to RIDE tomorrow! :yahoo: I let it run for a while...until the temp gauge moved at least, and checked to make sure I got my fuel leak taken care of. So, that's good, not fuel leak. HOWEVER.... :rant: I noticed some smokage coming from the left side, and once I took a closer look.....I gots a friggin COOLANT leak now! :sensored: :Awe: :rant:
I'm really hoping this is just one of those "That happens if they sit for very long in the cold" things, since I've seen other posts here with similar issues when the bike has sat like this one has. I haven't ridden since before Thanksgiving last year, and we've had some unusually cold weather here this winter.

I did check the coolant bottle, and it is still ok...maybe a couple of teaspoons lower than normal. I'm gonna ride it anyway, and just keep an eye on the temp, and the coolant level. I know I need to rip into the front of this thing to replace the waterpump and seals, anyway....I should've done all that crap this winter... :rant: :doh:

Naw...it's definitely coolant...it's pink, and there's a small amount on top of the engine casing under the carbs. I can see a wee bit of seepage on the lower rad hose, but not much. I cannot see anything leaking from the crossover tube, tho.
I'll keep an eye on it today... :beg:

I fired it off last night...I didn't ride yesterday..I needed to get some oil in the engine :blush:, and I apparently didn't have any at the house. I could smell the coolant, and see the steam, but there was no more puddling on the engine.
I DID ride it to werk today :yahoo: , and didn't see any leakage when I got to the shop, nor did I ever smell anything on the ride in. I'mma hoping it resealed once it warmed up. :beg:

Congratulations! I was hoping mine would. It leaked when I bought it. I had to replace crossover pipe "O" rings. :head bang:

I was a-skeered that's what I was gonna hafta do, too. But...I've seen numerous posts here about seepage if they sit very long like that. Mine stays in the garage, but the freaky cold weather we had here this month was unusual, so it got pretty dang cold inside there, too.
I do still need to rip into it and fix the oil leak at the water pump...I should've already done that, but I'm just so dadburn lazy... :lazy:

AApple":3qhubo9e said:
I was a-skeered that's what I was gonna hafta do, too. But...I've seen numerous posts here about seepage if they sit very long like that. Mine stays in the garage, but the freaky cold weather we had here this month was unusual, so it got pretty dang cold inside there, too.
I do still need to rip into it and fix the oil leak at the water pump...I should've already done that, but I'm just so dadburn lazy... :lazy:
I resemble that!

I replaced all the "O" rings, thermostat, gasket and hoses when I had the carbs rebuilt a couple of years ago. No mistaking that good ole coolant smell. Figured since the bike sat up for 8 years, it couldn't hurt.

Latest posts