Rusted Tank

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitecat

Reaction score
Does anyone know if filling a rusted tank with CLR is a good way to start?

(corrected thread title & moved to appropriate forum-aapple)

Whitecat":11u76fcp said:
Does anyone know if filling a rusted tank with CLR is a good way to start?

Don't think I've ever heard it tried.
I certainly don't think CLR would hurt anything.

Evapo-Rust works wonders, but it's expensive - about $25 per gallon. When I get back from New Mexico, I'll do a thread of my tank de-rusting. It looks like new inside.

If it is real bad the best way to start is to use a high pressure nozzle or pressure washer and flush out everything you can first.Chemicals like CLR and EvapoRust will work but will get saturated and stop working so it depends on whether it is thick rust or just a little. If the tank is out it is much easier, If it is left in much harder...I left mine in.
I did try the electrolysis method first since it seemed the least harmful and was cheap . It worked a little but there were patches/corners that wouldn't go away. I then used evaporust 2 gallons from harbor freight with the 20 percent coupon it was just 17 something a gallon and it worked great but the tank was in the bike so It could only work so far up the sides.
I ended up using pool acid which did the trick but with the acid you have to move fast and have ready everything you need to protect the bike and drain it fast when done.
I used a dollar store plastic tarp and cut 2 holes nearer the center to cover the bike well, one for the filler neck and one for the fuel sensor hole then duct taped it around so there was no leaks on to the bike underneath. I then had a siphon pump at the ready, some baking soda pre mixed with 1 gallon water for final flush, extension scrubbers cut and modified to fit into the filler neck and sensor hole so as to move the acid around with, safety glasses and rubber gloves,
For drying out when finished a stiff extension rod specially bent and bendable to hold a balled up drying rag(roof of tank) as well as hand towels small enough to be rolled up and stuffed into the sensor opening then moved around with the stiff rod.
After the acid wash I filled and drained my tank twice with fresh water then the third with the premix of baking soda,rest water then once dried out fogged it with WD40.
Boy that was long winded..Hope you can get something out of that.

Can't beat the acid for cleaning except that it strips off any treatment in the tank and can't leave it in too long or it will eat everything. After the acid treatment we use POR15 tank sealer to finish the job but you must have the tank out to do that.

Latest posts