Seasonal idle adjustment...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the cooler months I've noticed I need to raise the idle and likewise in the summer months I need to lower the idle. About this time of year it seems the idle speed drops about 100rpm from 950rpm to about 850rpm. Does anyone else that here that rides year-round need to adjust their idle speed?

~O~

Once set I leave my idle alone. If revs drop a little at lights I just give it a little more throttle. :mrgreen:

I've noticed that from time to time I'll have to readjust the idle.
Not sure why that would be but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Having to change at summer and winter might be due to gas blends?

I ride in cold and hot temps. I have not needed to adjust my idle....but...I leave mine at 1050 RPM since it seems to keep the battery topped and less strain on the stator. Generally, once up to temp, the engine idles the same no matter the outside ambient air temp. We also change gas here in NJ summer/winter, but it doesn't seem to effect it.

mcgovern61":3b5qtxy5 said:
I ride in cold and hot temps. I have not needed to adjust my idle....but...I leave mine at 1050 RPM since it seems to keep the battery topped and less strain on the stator. Generally, once up to temp, the engine idles the same no matter the outside ambient air temp. We also change gas here in NJ summer/winter, but it doesn't seem to effect it.
That's an idea, I try to keep it around 950, an extra 100rpm shouldn't hurt. Thanks.

Latest posts