Shadow Final Drive that will fit 85 wing.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver fox

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Need some help. I have an 85 Aspencade with a strange noise in the rear end. My motor doctor thinks it might be the final drive. However there are none to be had here in Canada, but I heard that there is a Shadow gear that will work. Does anyone out there ever heard of such a thing. I"M DESPERATE!!!

Silver Fox (Ted)

Never heard of any replacement final other than other wings. Joedrum would know what others will fit.

well first thing is what the problem ...the 1200 final weak spot is the wheel not the final drive useally ....the wheel bearing is mounted in soft wheel cast ...if that's the problem you need a wheel in good shape or fix the one you have from sloping around ...there are some that have put oldwing 1500 final wheel and brakes on 1200s to get away from 1200 wheel ...gearing remains the same ...but its quite costly cause most breaker separate the parts you need once all bought it get rather costly ...never heard of the other final working

Your bike cannot be fixed. Sell it to me for $200. JK. Try a search on Saunders site. I remember some of he issues with 1200 rear ends being bearing related and some guys turned a bigger place to use a bigger bearing. Before gong too far, the rear wheel should come off to have a look at the bearing. I am going by my limited memory, but I'm thinking it was 86 that Honda addressed the issue and put a larger bearing in from the factory. It's going to be interesting to see how the 1000 rear ends holds up for those of us with 1200's in them.

I have read also that you can substitute an 86 or 87 wheel & matching driven flange onto the 84 or 85 final drive which gives you the improved larger hub and eliminates the spun bearing problem. The final drives for the 1200's are all the same.

Thank you all for your knowledgeable input. I will examine all the answers and run checks as indicated. Thanks again for your help. Your all awesome.

Silver Fox(ted)

call goldwingking in toronto

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91279#p91279:1ecleuws said:
silver fox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm[/url]":1ecleuws]
Hi Everyone. Need some help. I have an 85 Aspencade with a strange noise in the rear end. My motor doctor thinks it might be the final drive. However there are none to be had here in Canada, but I heard that there is a Shadow gear that will work. Does anyone out there ever heard of such a thing. I"M DESPERATE!!!

Silver Fox (Ted)

Hey posting from knowledge here, I was experiencing some excessive slop in the rear wheel and finally got it ripped apart and found improper (non-Moly) lubrication had led to all the splines having beyond useable wear. That being said 86-87 wheel/flange will work with 84-87 rear end you just have to keep the wheel/flange combo correct for the years 84-85, 86-87. Good luck