Shift problems, 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingunner

Reaction score
I posted this over @Saunders as well. I'm having trouble with a GL1000. I just ran it for the first time yesterday and it will not shift from first to neutral, or second to neutral while bike is running with clutch lever pulled to bar. As soon as I turn the bike off it shifts anywhere I want, smooth as glass. Has anyone had experience with this or do I have a one-of-a-kind?

I didn't find anything with searches, so I'm guessing it is not a common issue.
Thanks for any insights in advance !

I`m kinda new to GL`s but besides the clutch adjustment there have been some trouble after a water pump replacement. seems some cheaper gasket sets had either thinner gaskets or the torque was too tight/uneven on the large cover and it would rub on the shift drum causing trouble, some modified the cover, others bought the factory gasket to solve the problem but I think over tightening may be mostly to blame.
I also remember a guy that had a problem like that and while he was backing down a ramp in reverse he released the clutch lever in gear and it solved the problem but that may have been from just sitting a long while or a lucky break.
Sorry thats all I really know about, Hope you find it and be sure and let us know what you find.

thanks for the ideas!

I'll read up on clutch adjustment. It shifts great out on the road, so I didn't think there was a problem with that, but it is definitely worth a look. I'll also try the drop-clutch in reverse thing,,,,,I'm due for a little luck!!! :yes:

I'm pretty new to the goldwings , but very versed in the cb750 sohc and they have the same shifting into neutral problem if the clutch is not adjusted proper. I would certainly look there first

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114788#p114788:1lws2pmj said:
oldhondajamie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm[/url]":1lws2pmj]
I'm pretty new to the goldwings , but very versed in the cb750 sohc and they have the same shifting into neutral problem if the clutch is not adjusted proper. I would certainly look there first

Thanks, I'll do some reading and see how to check and adjust!

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=114767#p114767:s7ucevpc said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 pm[/url]":s7ucevpc]
I've had the same thing happen on my 1100. A little clutch adjustment fixed mine.

+ 1

I adjusted the cable up according to the manual and it changed nothing. It looks like I need to get into the back end, which if I'm looking at it right, requires the removal of the rear tire and dropping the exhaust out of the way. Don't have the time for that project right now, so it will have to sit in garage and wait for me.

I'm not sure the 1000's have it but I know the 80-81 1100's have a center pin adjuster to tighten up the linkage. Some cables have been known to stretch also.