Shifting without clutch?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kirkwilson":26b8mpcr said:
All this talk about shifting trucks without using the clutch- About 4-5 months back I ran out of gas in my motel parking lot. I was parked at the back of the lot and there was a tanker truck getting ready to pull out- I bummed a ride down the road to the gas station. Anyway, this tractor/trailor had an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! Blew my mind- It's been since about '84 since I drove a rig but I had no idea they have autos now....
they call them autoshifts when dealers are advertising them

Get ready...they also now have what is known as a "2 mode" trans for big rigs. It's a larger version of the ones found in hybrid vehicles. It's part automatic, part electric. They have an electric motor/generator built as part of the trans, and that motor actually is used as the starter, as well as generating some of the braking force. The flux capacitor may be more than just a dream!!

So...before long, they'll all be able to shift without a clutch. :builder:

As some of you know I’m truck mechanic and with our drivers most never use the clutch and with the good drivers the clutch lasts forever and trans never gets damaged. However I have seen some broken gear tips from the practice. I can normally shift a truck trans without the clutch pretty smoothly but never tried it on my bike, it is about getting the engine RPM to match the trans gear speed. Interesting thread.

I drove tractor trailers in the 80's and I only used the clutch to get going from a stop. Each engine and transmission had a slightly different shift point, but once you learned it, it was a smooth as silk! I always use my clutch on the wing because mine doesn't shift without it very smoothly, kinda clumps into gear. Use the clutch and it is smooth.

In my cars I skip gears. Most often shifting 1-3-5 but if starting on a decent down grade 2-4-5. I've often thought it would be nice if I could do the same on bikes.

slabghost":b1uqle1r said:
In my cars I skip gears. Most often shifting 1-3-5 but if starting on a decent down grade 2-4-5. I've often thought it would be nice if I could do the same on bikes.
That's different! I've never heard of anyone doing that. :shock:

I learned years ago that you get your best mileage in high gear. So I get there as quickly as possible.

When I shift(without clutch)its goes smooth as could be.If it where not I wouldnt do it.
If for some reason it dont just drop right in I just pull the clutch slightly and it shifts.I never ever force it.

If it isnt comfortable for you,or you havent fully "become one" with your bike enough to know where that point is,I would not advise it.

When I am rushing,or trying to get ahead of traffic at a light or such I do use the clutch but my best fuel millage is when I am riding conservativly enough to not clutch.

I do it all the time. If your off then yeah it sounds like it hurts. Only did that once. When commuting I normally go up and down all the way to first only pulling in the clutch to stop. I've actually done it accelerating hard too. I ride with a bunch of guys at work and have shifted up and down and it freaks them out. Most are on Harleys.

AApple":251ar6fe said:
A buddy of mine that used to ride pro for Yamaha once told me that the upshifts could be done just fine without a clutch. A little pressure on the shifter, and when the engine rpms got to where it needed to be, it would pop right into the next gear...no muss, no fuss. It does actually work, but I don't think I'd wanna do it on my 'Wing...that thing is heavy enough, it could cause a problem.

yeahup came to mind when I read your post :doh: .Done it on a yamaha rd125 in the 70's.upshifting only.......gentle pressure wjile cutting on the gas a bit.

A few days ago I tried shifting without the clutch like you's guys are saying and couldn't do it.
Well...I could do it but not smoothly enough for me to think I wasn't hurting something.
When I shift with the clutch I match RPM so I know what the idea is but still couldn't where I considered it to be a smooth shift, the rpms from one gear to the next are so wide on mine I don't see how it could be done.

Some pressure on the clutch lever during shifts is all it takes though.

@Dan
Like I said, it takes practice, lots of practice. I got used to it on my first bike (honda 350) since it had this bad habit of eating clutch cables.
By the time I moved to my next bike (honda 550) it was almost 2nd nature. I still use the clutch mostly on my wing since I havn't had it long enough to put enough miles on it be really used to it, when spring hits and I start riding again I expect I'll start experimenting after a few weeks.
Mind you I did learn how to do it on cars to start with. Up till about 5 years ago almost all my cars were a standard tranny. Much easier in a car but once you get used to it on a bike it's not that hard, you just have to listen to your bike ( no really, listen to how it sounds, it'll tell you when it's ready to shift). On my XJ750 I never used the tach after about the first 2 weeks or so. Buddy of mine went riding with me one day and asked me at a "pit stop" don't you ever use your clutch? I answered first an reverse is about the only time I need it, car or bike. Yeah yeah I know, XJ750's don't have reverse, it needed it though.

I guess its just the way Ive always done it.
As natural as driving a stick shift once you get past the "thinking about it stage".
As mentioned above its just 2nd nature,and works fine on all my bikes,as well as all my previuos bikes.I honeslty believe if its done correctly there is less wear and tear on the bike.As smooth as an automatic.

Last summer I had a friends kaw break a clucth cable while we wear riding up the lake shore.We switched bikes and I rode it home for him with no issues.Only scary spots wear the quick grabs for nuetral when we made it back to his house.

Tory":3tr86zew said:
I guess its just the way Ive always done it.
As natural as driving a stick shift once you get past the "thinking about it stage".
When I drove tractor trailers (eons ago) we only used the clutch for 1st and reverse.