Shifting without clutch?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark_Wing":kh1lxeor said:
It sounds like the thread should be called how to create metal shavings in you bikes oil

I look very closely at my oil filter at every oil change becuase I can.(No spin on) and have never had a shavings problem.
I guess I didnt realize it was as much of a skill as it is.It is how I ride every bike,and the only trans trouble I ever had,came that way from a guy who always used the clutch,but had issues learning how to bump start.

Mark_Wing":3ub3vtf4 said:
It sounds like the thread should be called how to create metal shavings in you bikes oil
No no it says "Shifting" without a clutch. Didn't mention grinding gears.
:smilie_happy:

After reading all the posts on this thread, I had a thought. :shock:

I went for a ride after looking in my owners manual for the suggested speed for shifting, to see if when I shifted without the clutch matches the book at all. It was VERY close. Here are the suggestions from my manual for shifting speeds for my 82 GL1100I...from 1st to 2nd 19 mph (30 km /h). 2nd to 3rd 25 mph (40 km/h) 3rd to 4th 31 mph (50 km/h) 4th to 5th 37 mph (60 km/h). But I have been clutchless shifting this thing by ear for a long time, I was just curious as to if it matched what they suggest.

My manual does warn however...and I quote it word for word..."Do not shift gears without disengaging the clutch and closing the throttle. The engine and drive train could be damaged by overspeed and shock."

I very seldom use my clutch. Drove semi for a number of years, and always have manual trans in my vehicles. My 1988 F-150 is on it's second clutch. :moped: Pointers. Never set your foot even to rest on a clutch. Never partially engage your clutch handle, keep your hand off of it. It may feel like slack, but you can't know it isn't engaging it a tiny bit unless your engine is see through. Your clutch will last longer if you follow this. But if you aren't comfortable doing clutchless, don't, just don't ride the clutch. Release the lever as quickly as possible when clutching.

patbrandon1":f3c5hrne said:
I very seldom use my clutch. Drove semi for a number of years, and always have manual trans in my vehicles.

I have ridden home with a busted clutch cable before, so I know it works.
But....my personal opinion is that big transmissions have big tolerances, beefy shift forks, and very expensive clutches, and little transmissions have little tolerances, flimsy shift forks, and much smaller clutches.

Maybe just me, but I'm more comfortable pulling the clutch lever on my motorcycle. :moped:

haven't tryed on a gw yet but.any standerd shift i have.even in big rigs. it doesn't hirt anything as long as you do it at the right time. just come second nature once you are used to it. i,m sure miss daisy won't mind if i ever get her going.

Been shifting my 1100 without the clutch since I bought it about half the time. Just depends on how I feel at the time. Most of the time 1st to 2nd with clutch then just crack the throttle on the shift up. If smooth fast and in sync it actually seems to be less shock than with the clutch. If you are a bit timid with it you might get the grind, clunk. If not done right I guess you could end up grinding a tooth a bit but it wouldn't be any different than missing a gear on occasion. Just my two cents worth. Still, I know what the manual says and if not already proficient in doing this or not comfortable with it, just use the clutch. I don't have any problem with it, the feel is smooth, solid and if done right seems to be less shock on the gear.

In the morning on the way to work I'm usually shifting up and down all the time because I usually have my coffee in my hand. Once your used to it it is second nature. I don't even think about it whether I'm using the clutch or not.

There's certain stretches where I can see plenty far ahead and I know there are no side roads for surprises to come out. Just sayin shifting with or without the clutch will come as second nature if you get used to it. Even if your hands are tied up.
And I can only keep one hand on the coffee. THe others making english muffins.

Your getting to defensive.
Nobodys throwing money away.If you dont have the ability to do it right dont, but every manuel transmision can be smoothly shifted with out the need of the clutch,but not everybody has the abilty.
The clutch release allows you to shift anywhere,right or wrong but when you are at the correct spot it just falls in.Never forced,never ground,never hurt a trans or clutch and better millage do to always shifting correctly.

I do however keep both hands on the bike. :shock:

Tory":1d5l5xlx said:
Your getting to defensive.
Nobodys throwing money away.If you dont have the ability to do it right dont, but every manuel transmision can be smoothly shifted with out the need of the clutch,but not everybody has the abilty.
The clutch release allows you to shift anywhere,right or wrong but when you are at the correct spot it just falls in.Never forced,never ground,never hurt a trans or clutch and better millage do to always shifting correctly.

I do however keep both hands on the bike. :shock:
yes and this is exactly my main point. "I do however keep both hands on the bike." this is the most important as we can not and do not control every thing around us. :yes:

AMEN t that brother. :yes:

Sorry to raise the hackles there. I'll keep my coffee drinking in the closet. Been riding since 1980 and 100's of thousands of miles in the seat. I don't condone anyone to do the things I do as I wont follow someone else unless I know I'm capable. It was also meant to be tounge in cheek. Except for the roadkill schmear.

Heath

Heath":4b2i3vha said:
Sorry to raise the hackles there. I'll keep my coffee drinking in the closet. Been riding since 1980 and 100's of thousands of miles in the seat. I don't condone anyone to do the things I do as I wont follow someone else unless I know I'm capable. It was also meant to be tounge in cheek. Except for the roadkill schmear.

Heath
There are plenty of times I've riden one handed, especially on long trips.
I see nothing wrong with it. Of course in traffic I don't.

dan filipi":3t8of02t said:
Heath":3t8of02t said:

Heath
There are plenty of times I've riden one handed, especially on long trips.
I see nothing wrong with it. Of course in traffic I don't.
Same here :eek:k: