Should we add a chat system?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I kind of think they defeat the whole purpose of the forum in a sense. What I mean is, if you join the forum to find answers to a question you have, and decide to use the chat system instead of the actual forum setup, it could end up that a lot of people that have the same question or issue would or could misout on the information because they weren't involved in the chat session. Now, as it sits right now on this board, any information that is asked for, will be catalog and all any has to do is to search. The chat systems have their place, don't get me wrong, but I don't believe that place is here.

Our C3/4/6 Registry forums have a chat room that is open at all times for anyone that wants to use it. We also have an I/M system, but it ain't too good, imo. We used to have scheduled Live Chats on the first Wed eve of every month, but now it is every Wed nite on the C3 site.
We get in there and just shoot the bull, mostly...some tech stuff, but mostly friendly chatter amongst the members.
I can take it or leave it, but some folks really get into it. :laptop:

I also like the forum as is. If I have needed to talk to someone, I can PM them and we can exchange phone numbers. I too cannot type that fast. :laptop:

I am not against a live chat or IM, but I see what the kids go through on Facebook and other like sites and I kinda like the pace of the forum.

I like the idea, sometimes it seems we are already using the forum like a chat system. Plus...I'd like to do member interviews. I do them for my gaming clan, and they are always a hit.

I added a poll to your post Dan(doesn't seem to be working though).

~O~

scdmarx":38n66i5n said:
I can't type fast enough to chat.
mcgovern61":38n66i5n said:
I also like the forum as is. If I have needed to talk to someone, I can PM them and we can exchange phone numbers. I too cannot type that fast. :laptop:

I am not against a live chat or IM, but I see what the kids go through on Facebook and other like sites and I kinda like the pace of the forum.

Yeah me to. :Awe:

Most the forums that I see with live chats dont seem to have everybody on at one time enough and sit stagnent anyway.As they should :smilie_happy:
Reality is Im a good 3 ta 4 hours ahead of alot of you west coasters.Im sawing logs by the time you folks are finishing your dinner.If you are a 9-5er like me,(acually 7-6er)and on the left coast,we never cross. :?

As I type this wpd1960 and I are the lone folks the forum now.

Ya gotta love time zones Tory! I get to travel to Seattle from New Jersey every month. It is kinda neat to post something while in New Jersey, fly to Seattle and the post catches up to me 3 hours later! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Me??? i check while at work and chats are not real good for when I am on.. take 'em or lv 'em Don't matter to me and I am not in them much.. :fiddle: :fiddle:

i use to use chat on gl1200.com but the guys that were on chat with me don't seem to be very active anymore. i haven't used chat in about two years now. pm, email or call me if you need to contact me directly

Latest posts