silicon diode or silicon rectifier

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patcoburn

Reaction score
I have an 1983 gl1100 standard. I know I've seen a pic somewhere on this site showing where the diode that provides ground to the starter relay when the bike is in neutral. I can't seem to find it on mine. Anyone got a good picture showing where it is?

No diode I'm aware of. I think you mean the neutral safety switch. Can't recall offhand where it is just now.

I have a couple pictures of the diode in my gallery:

image.php

image.php

The diode doesn't provide a ground, rather it prevents the clutch switch from making the neutral light come on.

The electrical schematic for the 83 standard calls it "silicon rectifier". I don't really care what it's called I just need to find it, test it and replace it. Pictures will be helpful. Are they from an 83?

Dan, what is that ballast resistor I see right there on the frame for? (Gonna have to check to see if I have one?)

Never mind......it is on the same mount as the coils....PHEW!

well gerry if you have that ballist on your coils then the coils are from and 82-83 yr wing ...and not 80-81 coils...so your bike dose have ballist hook up on the ignition ....like the 83 has ....how did this happen

joedrum":1fmtn2ft said:
well gerry if you have that ballist on your coils then the coils are from and 82-83 yr wing ...and not 80-81 coils...so your bike dose have ballist hook up on the ignition ....like the 83 has ....how did this happen
I gotta check through my parts box to see which coils I used!! I am pretty sure I used the '81 coils because the '82 coils were out in the weather 12 years and looked pretty sad. I will go check right now!

mcgovern61":3lao44k0 said:
joedrum":3lao44k0 said:
I gotta check through my parts box to see which coils I used!! I am pretty sure I used the '81 coils because the '82 coils were out in the weather 12 years and looked pretty sad. I will go check right now!
I checked and......lo and behold.......the '81 coils installed do not have the ballast resistor and the '82 coils sitting in the box do have a ballast resistor!

So.....what does that mean for me?????? Could that explain why no filter cuts out the alternator noise from my AM radio??

well it means you are getting 12 volts to ignition all the time ...this is a good time to to find out what ohm the stock coils are for 80-81 bikes and see if its the same as 82-83 yr ...the 1000 were 5ohm i think....

im thinking it cold be a bad thing if its to much heat on the 83 pluse generator unit ...its something to look into some to be sure everything is okay

Latest posts