single carb inspiration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
as some of you know,i started my single carb build in early 2014.i installed the dft carb and built a pvc manifold and got the bike running and it ran well.i took the bike apart to "restore" it and it has sat for the last 5 years,wow!!!,i didnt realize it has been that long.to the point of this post,i want to thank 81gwing and westgl of the saunders forum for giving me the impetus to get off my ass and move on with this project.recently i was reading on the single carb forum here and saw 81gwing's flex pvc manifold and thought i would take a whack at it,so i did and wasnt real happy with the results.one day i was reading about single carb installs on goldwing facts and read westgl's posts about using straight coolant hose.i must say the light in my head came on so i bought some hose.it worked extremely well.so like i said earlier,i would to publicly thank these two gentleman for getting me off my butt and on the road to finishing this bike.thanks again

Wow is westgl still out there at Saunders site today if so that’s cool ...if we are talking the same 81gl ..he’s a member here to ..and a very successful SCC builder ....there’s no doubt in my mind that the DFT carb is a great carb for oldwings ...I get great power out of mine ...in the 32-34 version ... Anyway post some pics of what you got going on ...would love to see them ...

thanks joe and ill try to remember to do the pics as things go along.im not sure if westgl is still there or not.his thread was started in 2013.

I’m glad Westgl was helpful to you.
My take on him was he made some grand claims then never backed them up. I think he was taking lessons from CM85.
When asked about them, he’d seemingly disappear from the forum and never reply to the inquiries. Then one day there would be some random post from him that didn’t address any of our questions.

He never would post a video of his claimed bike running perfectly and getting over 50 MPG (US). Not on this forum I’ve ever seen.
The 50 MPG was on his very first build using the hose, then for some odd reason and out of the blue, he said he was scrapping that build after claiming the hose was deteriorating from the gas. Again, no pictures of said deterioration.

Anyway....There has been a lot of good information posted from many individuals CC builds. Much of it is useful.

Westgl started out ok ...if you read the thread ...single carb conversion 2 bbl progressive Holley weber 740 carb ...he started his first single conversion project after reading my work using this carb ...then at the Saunders site Cm 85 convinced him that carb wouldn’t work and I had stolen cm85 idea of using this carb ...thread dates proved the opposite ...Cm85 wanted to be known as SCC god of oldwings ..his famous words that ended up making him nothing was ...A SCC setup no matter what carb used could never by as good as stock ....here at classic we sank that statement completely ....the work done here on SCC MODS was the most honest ever ...

Depnding what DFT carb you have ..there are pluses and minuses ..to work on ...witch brings to mind one statement CM85 and WestGL made that was ridiculous ...the 32-32 DFT was good right out of the box LOL that statement really sank the DFT as a carb to use ..it just couldn’t live up to that ..and the dumb statement took one of the best carb to use on a oldwing out of popularity...

Most DFT carb are EPA nightmare of blocked adjustments and add on junk devices that need to be work around or done away with ...I’ll help you the best I can Duster ....

Latest posts