Small Meters rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the rebuild thread fro the smaller meters Fuel,Volts and Temp. What I mean buy this is remove the chrome ring, glass out clean and paint where needed and generally refurbish them as there are a lot of GL1000 79 auxiliary meters that are just about unbridgeable, dirty and plane disgusting like mine. So as they are fubarbed anyway I wanted to have a go at basis refurbishment. I f no one hasn't already don this I will document it myself.
Ian :beg:

I don't recall any rebuilds of this sort. Someone just recently was replacing them with VDO gauges.

Fuel and engine temp would be the square ones a little above the speedo/tach. If your talking about the guage pack that sits between the speakers those would be difficult to crack open and put back together properly like it should be done. I do have an ambient temprature guage, a little round 52MM type that doesnt work. These are expensive and who`s to say the used one keeps accurate temps so I was going to cut it open from the back, pull out the guts and cleanly install a 12 volt mini digital readout LCD type inside then button it back up so that it matches the other 3 52MM guages.
I havent got to it yet but the guages are available for cheap..Like 12-15 dollars with probe. Another obstacle is I need a Fahrenheit guage and many are Celcius very difficult to find a mini in Fahrenheit and the right size to fit the inside of a 52MM guage.

Ian be careful when prying that chrome ring off of the glass. Turns out that the glass does not like a lot of prying with a screwdriver... :head bang:

Multiple times around in little increments was the way to go that got the ring off without breaking the glass.

Been there Brian? ... yes documentation and photos are appreciated and desired.. maybe a before and after look? I always laugh at the ones they show for people.. you know hair club or weight loss.. the after doesn't always resemble the person who is a before...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100168#p100168:2hfmrh39 said:
slabghost » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 am[/url]":2hfmrh39]
I don't recall any rebuilds of this sort. Someone just recently was replacing them with VDO gauges.

yes thats me I am thinking about it, but at about £150 for the three it is an expensive change.

Ian

Latest posts