So now that I'm keeping the wing, what next??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwinggirl

Reaction score
OK After first posting my wing for sale and then getting cold feet and deciding to keep it, my task is to get the carbs from leaking fuel.

When I first got my wing 10 years ago, I rebuilt the carbs. I used after market jets as the ones in there, well a few needle valves were corroded. Plus I found several fuel screens mostly clogged. Put everything back together and life was good.

Then some years ago I moved to california. For the last year the bike would cut out from time to time. At first I thought it was maybe a bad coil, but I found that the bike ran better with the petcock closed then open. I also started to see fuel dripping out the exhaust header junction with the muffler. Oh I'm thinking I've a bad float valve.

So I purchased new float valves and gaskets from PartsNmore, and did a rebuild of all 4 carbs. Checked the float levels on all four and set per height from flange. Put it back on the bike and fuel was still dripping from #3 carb. SO pulled them again (I'm getting real good at that too) and changed out #3 float valve and checked the float height again. Put it all back together and the %&*($# thing was STILL leaking. I did note that the float bowl gaskets had swollen up in just a weeks sitting. So installed new float bowl gaskets.

SO after deciding that I really do want to keep the bike, whats my next move. Should I buy new float valves at service honda. Find a float to replace the #3 float. BTW the float does not have any fluid in it and looks fine.

So seeking direction from the collective. What would you do.

Thanks...

first I'd re set floats with carbs on end so just enough float weight moves the needle to seat. Full weight of floats will compress little plunger in the end of the needle. Giving you the wrong height. If the problem persists I'd use a Q tip with copper polish to clean the needle seats.

I'd concentrate on the # 3 carb. Can't think of anything that would cause it to do that but float height and or needle is not seating. I'd consider testing them with gravity feed fuel tank mounted about 2 feet above level set of carbs, if the float bowl gaskets leak or the needle valve is not shutting off it will show up without having to reinstall on the bike. I just went thru mine and it showed two floats not shutting off and one bowl leaking with the gravity tank.

what I always do after I take off carbs is flow test them ...intake horns off ,,,,drain plugs out of bowls and hook the carbs up to small temporary tank anhose 3ft long or so ...have carbs flat on table ....raide temp off table above rack ...and see if gas flow out of bowl drains about same on all carbs ....if that's good put drains back in and then this lift tank above rack and hang it so bowls fill and then they stop the with floatrs seats ....I put paper down so it easy to see whats leaking and how much ...this tells a lot about the rack and what the problem areas are ....post back results

What Joe said. I won't be surprised if it isn't the big flat oring seal between the #3 carb and the plenum. I just went through this. I posted a pretty good description for you at NGW where you can find out where it's from. If you remove the cap and slide from number three, then you can see where the gas comes from when you turn the gas on. If it is from the jets right under the slide, it's the float needle, but if it starts coming down the throat from the plenum side it's the oring or the plenum gasket. A piece of paper in the bottom of the plenum will tell you if it's the plenum gasket. You can swap that oring out without pulling the whole rack apart.

well progress anyway. Now that I have a little money, I pulled the carburetor top off #3 and put a some tissue on the body per a suggestion here. Lo and behold it IS the plenum fuel o-rings leaking. So ordered a full rebuild set today and fingers crossed in a week, my wing will be back on the road, good as new.

I am really excited about that too!

OH YES Baby!!. So the new Randakk's carb rebuild kit came in Friday. Yesterday I took the carbs apart replaced the O-Rings and the $%^&* manifold fuel o-rings that was leaking. Also found where one fuel passage in the manifold had some gunk in it. Cleaned everything up and resembled. Reinstalled the carbs and started it up. It ran pretty good before re-syncing and zero leaks. Then sync's the carbs and adjusted the idle air screws. The engine now sounds very good with great response.

Now I'm only waiting the the new master cylinder for the front. In a week or two the bike and I will be back on the road.

I am one happy girl!

Latest posts