Sometimes, I just wanna fkin give up....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:fiddle:

I'm havin a really bad week, fellers. Started Monday, aboot 4:45pm. Manager comes in and says "I gotta cut ya loose. Shop ain't makin enough money to afford keepin ya." Whuuuut? Now...this is the place that called ME to come work there.
So I leave, and go back Tuesday to pack up what I can in the truck. Toolbox and trailer will have to stay until I find another home. I forgot to take my uniforms in, so onced I get home with the truck, I load the unis on the 'Wing, and head back. Drop the unis off, and get my paycheck for the previous week.
I'm heading home on the highway, and I'm aboot 5-6 miles form the house, and I hear something....sounded like something fell off the bike, but I don't see anything in the mirrors. Aboot 10 seconds later, it feels like something ain't right, so I start heading towards the right shoulder....4 lanes over, with traffic at 75mph. Aboot halfway over to the right, I realize I got a flat...on the rear. :Awe:
Make it semi-safely to the shoulder, and sure 'nuff, rear is flatter than hell. As ya'll know, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a 'Wing up on center stand with a flat rear tire. I have a plug kit, and a compressor I keep on the bike all the time, but I can't SEE a hole anywhere, and I can't get the dang thing up on the center stand. The tire will not air up, either. I call Mama, and she calls the insurance people to get me a tow. I get a message aboot 30 minutes later that they will be there in an HOUR. F that. I look around the side of the road, and finally manage to find enough wood scraps to put in front of the rear tire, and ease the bike up on the stack of wood, high enough to manhandle it up on the center stand. Spin the tire around, and finally see what looks like a puncture, almost directly in the center of the tread. Put a plug in it, and it airs up, so I calls the tow jerks and tell them not to bother.
Head on home, and make it with no further problems....until I get here. I shut the bike off, go inside, and open the garage door. Go back out, and....bike won't start. Spins slow. Put a booster box on it, and it spins, but won't start...still spins slow....and continues to spin even after releasing the start button. Turn the key OFF, and the starter is still trying to spin. Run up into the garage and get a socket/ratchet to disconnect the battery, and discover I can't get to it with a socket, so have to go back and get a wrench. By this time, the starter is no longer spinning...it's just crying...making the weirdest noise I've ever heard a starter make. Get the neg cable unhooked, and noise stops.
Now....the bike is at the end of the INCLINED driveway. No way in hell Mama & I can push it thru the grass in the yard(did I mention it's been raining here??). Try to connect the cable back, and it makes the starter cry some more. So the solenoid is stuck...great. Pull the solenoid out, and hear it "click"....this is still with the battery disconnected. Try jumping the starter directly, and nothing...barely even a spark.
Check voltage on the batt, and it is around 11v. I decide I can turn the bike around, and roll it down the street to push-start it. I hook up my small jump box, and bungie-cord it to the bike so it don't fall off. Roll down the hill in 3rd gear, and pop the clutch....fires right up. Got it back in the garage, slammed the damn door down, and came inside, disgusted with the whole world, and meself.
I'm out of a job, the bike has a NEW rear tire(little over 1000 miles on it) with a hole in it, and the damn starter took a shit. What next? :rant:

Pulled the starter off today to have a look at the damage, and it's significant. I ordered a new brush kit, with plate and all. Gotta hold off on the tire until I can determine/decide what to do with it. It's still holding air, but.....

I give up..... :crying:

I don't know which is worse. Losing yer job or working 7 days on a shift with 6 days of them being 12hr shifts.Yep that does sound like a really bad day. On the bright side. Tomorrow doesn't have to be very good at all to be a whole lot better though. At least you have a little free time to look around before deciding what's next.There always seems to be a job for a good mechanic.

O-man":1is921tg said:
image.php

It's all broken... and has what looks like cat litter inside. It's just not fair bro.

~O~

What looks like kitty litter is actually melted solder chunks, and part of the brush holder that melted in half. :heat:

I'm gunna put a Ford starter solenoid on it...not messing with a replacement solenoid from fleabay, or anywhere else. Heard too many problems from using stuff like that. Plus...I have several Ford solenoids here, so the cost is zilch. Just need to figure out the four wires on the plug. :read:

Yea the solenoids scare me too, I had that happen on a car once and burned my hand trying to pull the battery cable, finally grabbed some cable cutters which got hot enough to melt the rubber handles on before I was able cut the cable.
Thought about an emergency shut off but never looked around for one..thinking I`ll do it now

Sorry to hear of your misfortune's. :sensored: Life often seems to enjoy kicking you in the ass, for no real reason. :head bang:

I don't know what I done to piss the "boss" upstairs off, but I've aboot had it with all this crap.
I have to find a place to put my car trailer, since the city won't allow ME to park it in my driveway. If I wasn't a white feller that speaks English, it wouldn't be a problem. Anywho, with no job, I have no shop to park the trailer at, which is what I have done for years. The only thing I can do at this point is haul it out to west Texas, where my brother is. He's got a huge shop out there, with plenty of room. But...I haven't been able to get ahold of him or his wife, to see if they will be there. :head bang:
On top of that, the damn power steering pump on the 'Burban decided today would be the PERFECT time to start gushing fluid out. None of the local parts places had a pump, so I would up having to drive aboot 20 miles to get one. Since it doesn't come with the pulley, I have to pull the pulley, and re-install it on the new pump. I have pullers for this, no problem. Problem is with installing the pulley. There are threads down inside the pump shaft, to thread a bolt into, the press the pulley on. Of course, since it's "crap on Joel" week, I don't have a friggin 3/8-16 bolt ANYWHERE in my tool box, parts boxes, nada. I finally take a friggin bolt out of the exhaust on the 'Burban to use. Jeeeeze...the hits just keep on comin.
Did get the pump back on, filled, and bled. I hafta go tomorrow and get my toolbox from the "old" shop....then try to find a place for the trailer.
I know I'm being tested for some reason....just don't know why, or how much longer the test will last, before I loose it altogether.... :swoon:

On a slightly happier note, I went ahead and ordered a new rear tire. Ordered it aboot 10am this mernin, and....it's already here....will be delivered in the mernin. :yes:

The way things are goin, it will either be the wrong one, or it will already have a friggin hole in it....

I like the old days when you had a pump leak and had to get by just remove the belt , darn serpentine belts put an end to that.
good luck out there.

Latest posts