Spacers in forks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kah92340

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to another wing owner and the said He put a 1 inch spacer in his fork tubes.
I would like to get progressive springs for my forks but it's not in the budget right now. My forks seem to sit low so I'm going to try this spacer tip, I'll let you know how it works for me. :grin:

mcgovern61":2vnhd8wf said:
Are your forks holding air? How many lbs are you using? Mine sit low when there is no air in them.

Isn't there a minimum pressure for the '81?
My '83 even with Progressive will sag at least an inch or 2 without air.
They need a good 10 pounds to lift to the top with just the bike's weight on them.

dan filipi":2iqqdv27 said:
mcgovern61":2iqqdv27 said:
Are your forks holding air? How many lbs are you using? Mine sit low when there is no air in them.

Isn't there a minimum pressure for the '81?
My '83 even with Progressive will sag at least an inch or 2 without air.
They need a good 10 pounds to lift to the top with just the bike's weight on them.
I do keep 12 lbs up front. My point was that if I drain the air out, they drop at least 1 1/2". If his forks are low, they might need air.

the spacer thing works great ......i did it to my 79 forks when i had them ........but the 79 had no air and its realy hard to compress the springs and thread the cap.....
ive never had my 80 forks apart to see if the air stuff would be in the way for using spacers ive assumed it would be.....on my 79 the spacers pic my bike up but it still dived hard and was no improvement in that regard....somebody here proably can speak about if its possible to put spacers in the air forks....stiff springs are the only right answer to this problem...honda suuld have done this right to begin with......

:head bang: I feel like a dope, it's easier to complain then check the air pressure. I just checked the pressure and they are at 9 lbs Honda recommends 14 to 21. I haven't checked the suspension pressure for a while because it has never dropped. I got a set of full rear bags and trunk that I put on 2 weeks ago so that's going to add some weight also.
Thanks for helping me pull my head out of my rear :swoon:

My front wont hold air for more then an hour :crying:

I want to get progressive springs... Does anybody recall how much they were going for?

BigAndrew":nxbi2pob said:

I want to get progressive springs... Does anybody recall how much they were going for?

They are about $100 from Progressive

dan filipi":3qbj68nh said:
BigAndrew":3qbj68nh said:

Just for the front? How bout the rear?

BigAndrew":2etcqswr said:
dan filipi":2etcqswr said:
BigAndrew":2etcqswr said:

Just for the front? How bout the rear?

Here's a link to Progressive for your 82 https://www.progressivesuspension.com/pr ... odelID=827

They're running a special now, if you buy a set of 440 rears they'll throw in the fronts!
https://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/index.html
I bet they'd work the deal for other rears if you called.

:shock: :eek: :? Holy Crap!!! The 418 Series HD rear shocks are $599 and the 412 HD series are only $299 I wonder whats the major difference between them

dan filipi":3tvwusol said:

Thanks for the link :salute: Doesnt seem like the more expensive set is much better other then its made out of lighter weight aluminum and its more flashier so the lesser expensive one would be fine with me...
$299 wouldnt be too bad if i can get the front and rear for that price

Do you or anybody else know of some other company that sells springs fro our bikes?

I've got a set of rear springs that came with the '81 parts bike. They were not that old (maybe 2 years?) when I got that bike, but my '82 rear shocks on the restored bike held air fine so I am still using them.

What I did notice on the spring shocks is that even though they were the right diameter bore holes for the bolts, they were not the correct depth on the bolts which allowed them to move side to side on the upper and lower bolts. This caused the lower bolt to put undo side pressure on the fitting and it ended up causing the aluminum threads in the rear to strip at the bolt from undo vibration. Luckily, I wasn't trying to salvage that final drive.

I should note that I do not think these spring shocks were Progressive brand, just JC Whitney replacement shocks as far as I can tell.

My rear shocks still hold air so I think im just gonna do the front to save some $$$ for now unless i can call up that one site and get the front springs for free when purchasing the rear

Latest posts