Spark plug gap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
With all the pulling plugs and putting back in I must have bumped the plug tips enough to lower the gap.
I found all 4 around 28.
After gapping to 34 the spark is much hotter.
That little bit made a BIG difference in spark.

Spec calls for 80-81 28 gap, might try 34.
Seems to run better now.

slabghost":3qg5kshp said:
Gaps get bigger with use. If it starts sputtering or losing power close the gaps a little.

Yep, that's where periodic maintenance comes in.

A wider gap could also put a strain on the coil(s) from trying to fire across...just a thought. I'd be worried about the coil(s) getting too hot. Let's see how Dan's works out for a few weeks...I'm all for more power! :Egyptian:

AApple":i7in8kgc said:
A wider gap could also put a strain on the coil(s) from trying to fire across...just a thought. I'd be worried about the coil(s) getting too hot. Let's see how Dan's works out for a few weeks...I'm all for more power! :Egyptian:

Well the book calls for .031-.035 for '82 and '83. Mine being an '83 they are where they should be.
I was thinking though if the '80 and '81 models have the same coil specs then running them at .034 instead of .028 might give a little boost. Would have to check the coil specs.

It had just occurred to me now the earlier models have a problem with melting spark units.
I wonder if too wide of gap could have something to do with causing that.
I guess a wider gap would make the coil work harder which in turn would need more current to pass through the spark units heating them up.

Latest posts