Spark plugs, 114,000 miles

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Figured it was about time to change them in the Burb Lol.
These are AC brand.

image.php

image.php

I literally could have cleaned them and run another 100k. Impressive to me because this is the first car I've ever had from new and put on over 100k so I know the maintenance history, or lack of lol. Just recall the old days we'd change plugs, points and condenser so often. Computer control is nice, even though it can have it's disadvantages.

Did the same in my sisters Malibu except every plug boot was stuck to the plug, had to pry each one off but after well over 100K they looked good and did not seem to run any better with new wires and plugs..gotta give them credit for a good ignition.

I did wires too, only because it seems recommended everywhere I read online.
After a twist to break the stick, they all came off fine, probably could have left them but the Burb deserves it. She's been good to us.

I thought 100k kilometres was impressive on a set of plugs but 114k miles is unreal :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160550#p160550:z9e7sar1 said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 am[/url]":z9e7sar1]
Burb engine bay is very open so it probably runs cooler around the boots.
Did that car have metal heat shield tubes on the boots? I'm sure that made a difference.
No metal shields, they were just very old originals and the rubber was baked, literally had to cut the rubber off the insulator to get the plug wrench on, the back(firewall) plugs took some time...never will own a FWD V6 anything.

So are those plugs the iridium ones? I have heard that they almost last forever. They are used in my 06 Pilot and cost about $11 each. I was thinking about replacing them at 105K but may not do that. Can I ask how hard the plugs pictured were to unscrew. I have hear stories about plugs seizing in the head if left in too long.

Tuna

Those iridium plugs really last. I had them in my GL 1800, but haven't ponied up for other bikes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160618#p160618:3deq7xks said:
tuna » Today, 4:00 am[/url]":3deq7xks]
So are those plugs the iridium ones? I have heard that they almost last forever. They are used in my 06 Pilot and cost about $11 each. I was thinking about replacing them at 105K but may not do that. Can I ask how hard the plugs pictured were to unscrew. I have hear stories about plugs seizing in the head if left in too long.

Tuna
Yes, the plugs are iridium.

Every plug loosened with a crackling sound the first 1/4 turn or so. I assume that was breaking carbon off the threads. The rest of the way they squeaked a bit but loosened by hand. Going in I used anti seize on the threads.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160623#p160623:1v75vdh7 said:
dan filipi » Today, 8:43 am[/url]":1v75vdh7]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160618#p160618:1v75vdh7 said:
tuna » Today, 4:00 am[/url]":1v75vdh7]

Tuna
Yes, the plugs are iridium.

Every plug loosened with a crackling sound the first 1/4 turn or so. I assume that was breaking carbon off the threads. The rest of the way they squeaked a bit but loosened by hand. Going in I used anti seize on the threads.

You very well may know this Dan, but careful with antiseize on sparkplug threads. I understand the reasoning with aluminum heads and all. I have heard reliable sources tell stories that antiseize lubricant can potentially cause a plug to back out and blow out of the cylinder from engine compression. If I were going to apply it, it would be very sparingly.

The trick to keeping plugs from seizing up is to change them more than once in 110,000 miles.... :smilie_happy: :Doh2:
Also, concerning anything with aluminuminum heads, never try to remove the sparkle plugs with the engine hot.....always allow it to cool overnight, or be cool to the touch before attempting removal. Taking plugs out of a hot aluminuminum head can bring the threads out with the plugs....which can allow the plugs to blow out later down the road.
Cast iron heads don't have that problem, and if the plugs are really tight to remove, it's because they were installed too tight to begin with. If the seat in the head is clean, and the plug is clean, there's no need to tighten them much past gudnsnug. :mrgreen:

I always use anti seize on everything unless locktight is required and haven't had a plug come out except in an old VW which was a Champion ( crap metric threading in those days) and prior to my anti seize days :doh:

My 07 Jeep Liberty has 107k and I haven't even thought of changing them yet. I pulled one a few weeks ago and didn't even bother wiping it off before I put it back in.

Latest posts