• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Speedometer cable and housing wanted.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
If anyone has a spare on a parts bike that will fit my 81 GL1100. Let me know please. :help: :thanks:

:hi: slabghost JC Whitney has speedo cables for between $15.00 and $20.00 depending on year and modle.. 81 1100 interstate CCP010932 $14.99 in new M/C catalog. I have 2 of them here but they have been in the weather and i am afraid that they are rusted inside and may not be recoverable......Bob

toytender01":y9r48hsu said:
:hi: slabghost JC Whitney has speedo cables for between $15.00 and $20.00 depending on year and modle.. 81 1100 interstate CCP010932 $14.99 in new M/C catalog. I have 2 of them here but they have been in the weather and i am afraid that they are rusted inside and may not be recoverable......Bob
All I see at JC Whitney are the inner cables and I need the housing too. If you'd be willing to send yours I'd be willing to try to salvage one. PM me the cost including shipping and we'll go from there.

slabghost":huxfp7h5 said:
toytender01":huxfp7h5 said:
All I see at JC Whitney are the inner cables and I need the housing too. If you'd be willing to send yours I'd be willing to try to salvage one. PM me the cost including shipping and we'll go from there.
I don't have any trouble sending a cable however why mess with a 30 year old part which may have to be replaced in a short time??? If you are using the computer... go to JCW and at the top left hand corner it allows you to enter part #, enter CCP010932 and the part will be displayed you can order from there... If using JCW Motorcycle catalog 151L-06 go to page 69, top left lists all cables... spedo cable repair kits are listed seperatly as kits. If that does not work for you check my profile for email address and we can work out arangements on shipping. If I had known a couple weeks ago i could have had it delicered to your arer.. I had a friedd who just rode his motor to the east coast ip througs Maine, back across the northern US canada border through the great lakes areaand then back th Michigan over 6000 miles could have made arangements then... too late now....Always a day late and a dolloe short......Bob

:hi:slabghost... your cable will be in the snalemail today. :salute: .... the thing would not rotate by hand :heat: soooo I shot it with a bunch of rust eater, runs fairly free now :clapping: ... recomend when you get it you flush it with wd40 and relube it, I usualy use liquid graphite but any cable lube will do.. :eek:k: LOL.... Bob

are you sure it is the cable that is bad???? that was what aPO thought on mine and it turned out to be the drive ring in the hub under the bearing seal.... cost about 6 bucks from the honda stealer.. had to wait for 4 days... but it fixed it.. mine was also a 81 1100 (interstate) model.. have to pull wheel to verify that issue.. mine loked like a rusty tin can.. and was as strong as tin foil..

The housing is snapped off about an inch from the drive at the wheel with no sign of inner cable. I've no idea if the Speedo or the drive actually work but I'm pretty sure I need a cable.

toytender01":2tw18kvv said:
:hi:slabghost... your cable will be in the snalemail today. :salute: .... the thing would not rotate by hand :heat: soooo I shot it with a bunch of rust eater, runs fairly free now :clapping: ... recomend when you get it you flush it with wd40 and relube it, I usualy use liquid graphite but any cable lube will do.. :eek:k: LOL.... Bob
Thanks so much Bob! You rock! :music: :yahoo: :thanks:

:hi: Glad I could help !! :clapping: I just happened to have 2 of them....don't know where the second one came from...must have been a GOD thing because all the other bikes still have one :whistling: .... :yahoo: :yahoo: the one i was going to give you is still in rust eater as it has not freed up yet good luck...just raise the front wheel and rotate it to check the gear.. make sure you can see the lower gear shaft rotating as you spin the wheel....if your gear is bad the cable won't help..I do have a gear if needed..... :clapping: good luck....Hope the rain lets up...qwould hate for it to rain 40 days and nights :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :good: :heat: :party: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Me too. It's been dry a couple weeks but tomorrow is my day off so of course we are expecting rain. :salute:

GOOD NEWS! and bad. Good news the cable works flawlessly, the speedometer works fine and the drive seems ok. Bad news is the cable seems to travel upward and lose contact in the drive. Should I pinch the gap a little at the drive end of the cable? The other odd thing is while the speedometer is working over 35 miles an hr the low pressure light for rear suspension comes on. I added air twice. Still the same.

gee never had that happen ....either one ....it seems the drive sould stay still enough to keep that from happening ...is it treaded though the hoop in the fender i think ...imsure you will get it :mrgreen:

joedrum":14wqzxvg said:
gee never had that happen ....either one ....it seems the drive should stay still enough to keep that from happening ...is it threaded though the hoop in the fender i think ...I'm sure you will get it :mrgreen:
Yep threaded through the hoop and on the little hook close to the drive. BTW I forgot to mention PO had progressive air shocks installed. Maybe a sensor is missing or not connected?

Latest posts