• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Speedometer cable and housing wanted.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hi: Check the wire on the sensor (at the air input valve) and make sure the wires are making contact.. if you have progressive shocks this may be the problen as ths stock air shocks have no springs...Unless the PO installed air progressive units there is no contact for the light..if that is the case your best bet is to remove the bulb....unless someone else has another fix...Bob

Thanks Bob. I see a green wired tied off not connected to anything so until I get the bulb out I'll just ignore it. I found the issue to the on off speedometer too. Noticed a slight wobble on the way to work this morning. Prompted me to look closer at the wheel. There was a gap between the fork leg and speedo drive about 1/4". Tightened the axle and I have a full time speedometer!

toytender01":2cniwi02 said:
:hi: Check the wire on the sensor (at the air input valve) and make sure the wires are making contact.. if you have progressive shocks this may be the problen as ths stock air shocks have no springs...Unless the PO installed air progressive units there is no contact for the light..if that is the case your best bet is to remove the bulb....unless someone else has another fix...Bob

I was under the impression that there are springs inside the rear air shocks, am I wrong??? :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Yes your correct , Ross. They do. AApple shows in his tutorial spring replacement on his '81 where he replaced the stock springs with Progressive springs.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80&hilit=progressive+springs

When you think about it the shocks would have to have springs because there is still support of the bike's weight even when all air is let out.

dan filipi":2s56wpkm said:
Yes your correct , Ross. They do. AApple shows in his tutorial spring replacement on his '81 where he replaced the stock springs with Progressive springs.

When you think about it the shocks would have to have springs because there is still support of the bike's weight even when all air is let out.
:hi: Let me quote from Clymer "SHOCK ABSORBERS-Air assist shocks are used on modle GL1100 to ptovide the desired ride for verious load conditions. There is no spring inthis type of shocl and dissasembly and service should be entrusted to a dealer." During my rebuild I found this to be true.... or at least no visable spring existed.....Bob :whistling: :whistling:

toytender01":3sngtixn said:
dan filipi":3sngtixn said:

:hi: Let me quote from Clymer "SHOCK ABSORBERS-Air assist shocks are used on modle GL1100 to ptovide the desired ride for verious load conditions. There is no spring inthis type of shocl and dissasembly and service should be entrusted to a dealer." During my rebuild I found this to be true.... or at least no visable spring existed.....Bob :whistling: :whistling:

I wouldn't trust Clymer very far, too many mistakes.

Bob, you must have gone in only as far as laid out in the Clymer manual for seal replacement.
I haven't open one but I believe the spring(s) are further in than that.
AApple could explain better.

Progressive_Page1.png
nps82B.tmp_Page_1.png

View media item 3535Click on the pic to view AApples complete how-to in the Gallery.

:hi: Yah Dan you are right I only went as far as replacing the seals...I do have a spare set of shocks which I will probably replace those seals also this winter during down time :smilie_happy:( down time???) any way thanks for the heads up Bob

Pretty much no downtime in Cali. Kinda makes it hard to figger out when to do any major repairs.

Summer it's too hot to ride, too hot in the garage. Fall and spring riding temps are perfect. Winter there comes the holidays so no time or money. :crying:

dan filipi":qrcl9n6r said:
Pretty much no downtime in Cali. Kinda makes it hard to figger out when to do any major repairs.

Summer it's too hot to ride, too hot in the garage. Fall and spring riding temps are perfect. Winter there comes the holidays so no time or money. :crying:
In that case a second bike is needed. So there is one to ride while wrenching the other. I have more than enough to wrench on when I have at least one road worthy. I'm also lucky in that we don't actually celebrate holidays. Any day we find something to gift becomes a holiday. Gifts are not stored for that "special" day. This avoids the holiday bills and makes the holidays a time off to enjoy with friends and family. :hi:

:hi: Down time for me is between Vehical repairs,,,honey doos,,Church doos, Church camp work parties some part time plumbing, helping friends move visiting with out of town relatives and whatever else will eat up good riding thim...then every now and then there is the weather....when i was younger none of that bothered me i went riding 51 weekends every year..but i finley slowed down (boy was that a mistake, now i have to squeez in the riding when i get a chance...even if it means not wrenching on the bikes..so much for down time :fiddle: :fiddle: :smilie_happy: :party: :party: Bob

Wish I had those troubles. I hate winter. I've actually considered a Ural or just get a sidecar for the wing so I can ride but it's tough to find snow tires for a motorcycle.

Latest posts