Spin-on Oil filter option

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed spin-on oil filter for CB750K from https://www.cb750supply.com/products/4/engine/74/lubrication-filters-o-rings-drain-plugs.

It fits GL1100A.

OD is slightly smaller than stock housing but is bigger than the flange (?) on the crank case.
item.JPG

The dual threaded adaptor pipe installed.
item.JPG

No leakage after several miles of regular riding.
item.JPG

So if I can get non-chromed version locally for cheaper (the chrome one costs $16), it would be great.
Does any body know how to look for the compatible filters by domensions? Should I try Napa?

slabghost":351yd0tw said:

I see. If you meant the below, looks like most of them are not spin-ons but the stock replacements.
except Pulorator ML16809? https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-ML16809-Black-Motorcycle-Filter/dp/B000E8V9Q2
Or is this a generic pic?

Oil Filters

AMSOil
GL1200 - SMF-101

Carquest

FRAM
GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 - CH6009

K & N
GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 - KN401

NAPA
GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 - NAPA Gold 4940

Purolator
GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 - ML16809

STP
GL1100, GL1200 - SMO-09

WIX
GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 - 24940

That looks like a really sweet conversion, as long as it doesn't leak. It's a good price, too! I may have to check into that. Sure would make changing the oil a little less of a hassle. :thanks:

Now that I thunk aboot it, there are several automatic transmissions that use a spin-on filter, and they all come with the threaded nipple....hmmm....I may just have to do some checking, and see if any of them will fit properly, and have enough capacity. Most of the ones I use only cost around $6-8. None of them are chrome, tho. How 'bout a nice, bright RED filter?! :mrgreen:

:hihihi:
I got them in red, black, and silver. Imma tinking the ones for the Saturn trans will fit right on there. Just happen to have a couple here now. Gonna change me erl tonite anyway, so I'll take a couple different ones home and see do they fit....I'll let ya know. :beg:

I thunk aboot that too. The trans filters I have all have by-passes in them, tho. These filters are for the cooler line return. They have to have by-passes in them, or else if they got clogged up, the trans would melt. Didn't have time to change the erl on mine tonite, so I don't know if what I have will fit.

dan filipi":gn2k9of8 said:
skiri, is there an adaptor plate needed as well as that filter or just the nipple?

No adaptor plate needed. That's the beauty of this kit. (I thought....)

As for the bypass, automotive spin-on filters don't have them?
My CB750K has spin-on adaptor plate, I am not sure the plate has the bypass mechanism. Maybe it does. So expensive ones like Randakk (sp?) spin-on adaptor kit have the bypass?

Oh well, I guess it's okay as far as I change oil every 1000 miles. No worries for filter clogging up.

But I am interested in those trans oil filters AApple has. I like red too. LOL.

Most name brand oil filters will have the built-in by-pass. Some of the cheapo ones do not.

AApple":3dee4bi1 said:
Most name brand oil filters will have the built-in by-pass. Some of the cheapo ones do not.

Well this has got me wondering now if it's this simple to use a spin on then why does Randakk sell an adapter?

AApple":7i6iu0qd said:

Can you tell if there is a built-in bypass or not by looking at them?
I have a Bosch filter I picked up a while ago for CB750. As I look through the threaded hole on the mounting end, I see something on the other end. Not sure it is a bypass but this chrome filter has similar "stuff".

dan filipi":y6hj9eh5 said:
Most spin ons I've looked at didn't appear to have a bypass, I mean you could see the filter screen down inside the center hole. Maybe they had a bypass somewhere else inside?

Oil filter cross section diagram on this site https://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm shows a spring on the other end. Maybe this is how bypass is implemented?

Warning: the MIDI music on the site is annoying.

And WIX filter for modern ST1300 says it got a built-in bypass.

https://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51365

Latest posts