splitting open my 82' 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydogg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got everything off, all the bolts removed and all I have to do it pull them apart. This is my 1st open heart surgery. I've taken videos of a few steps but I have to learn how to upload videos.

I was told which gasket set to get and which to stay away from. I remembered which to stay away from but forget the suggested one to get.

ohhh and I lost my stator...its gone... I thing I ate it when I stopped for my milk and cookie break..it was bad anyway...It may just be hiding. lol

sooo. I need a gasket set and a stator.... someone point me in the right direction...as far as who has reliable parts...

The Vesrah gasket set gets high marks, they made the original gaskets for Honda. Also on re assembly of the cover plate I remember something about the neutral switch needing positioned before the cover goes back on ..I think it was only on a certain year, not sure what yours is but something to be aware of when you button it back up.
Bt the way the hears look a little sooty(rich) on the one side and flooded on the other, possible carb problem too, floats maybe leaking.

Often not a lot wrong with these old girls, :wave: take your time, ask about anything your unsure of :read: & you'll probably be more than pleased with your results. :yes:

I'm struggling trying to get the engine split. I'm positive that every bolt is out...

How do yall split the motor;
pull until something comes loose,
Tap with a plastic mallet,

Throw it against a wall (opps that one slipped out...lol)

I haven't done it myself on a wing motor yet and hope i never have to. Sealed gaskets can hold pretty tightly. Maybe a few thumps with a rubber mallet?

Hey Jersey! Check the '81 and '82 case halves I gave you and count the bolt holes and be sure all bolts are out. (Remember that little broken one I showed you that I missed)

Also, the dowels could be rusty making it a bit hard to get movement started.

Yes, I have all of the bolts out and I believe everything else necessary. I'll upload a video that shows the engine 360 degrees, but I believe I have everything.

How do I get them apart?
1. Just pull and shake them until they split
2. Smack a certain part with a plastic mallet
Or something total different

Not sure where the dowels are located but I would start whacking it where the dowels are, I would rubber mallet down on either side of thew case, maybe a little lighter blows with a plastic one.
You know i`m sure you want to lay it on one side or the other once they are loosened, to keep the contents from spilling out.

I`m guessing you want to pull the left side leaving the output side(right) flat(engine on its side) on the ground once you have them loose. Hope someone remarks on this, never have split the cases before.