Sqeeking brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always sand my rotors when replacing them. I just center stand it and use a jack under the frame to lift the front then spin the wheel using some fine emery cloth or whatever cuts the glaze on the rotors.
I use a brake coating on the back of the pads as well. If your disc`s are grooved they just may need to be broken in the seat in the grooves.

I would guess you didn't install EBC Kevlar pads. One reason why brakes can squeal is they use a sintered pad made with organic and metallic material. The organic portion works well in dry weather, and the tiny metal pieces keep the brakes working in the rain.

EBC began blending Kevlar instead of metal shavings to retain excellent wet braking performance but the Kevlar material never flash rusts from moisture in the air.
A great way to tell what is causing your noise is to pay attention to WHEN it is noisy.

Worse in the morning or during your first ride after a day or two? = moisture in the air has created rust on the metallic bits.
Solution? Get up to speed and use your brakes firmly (HARD) and see if the noise is reduced.

If its quieter until the next time you ride, I blame your pads.
If the noise remains, its chatter from pads, or the "anti chatter" piece was not installed, and you can install the silicone type goop between the piston and pad to reduce the noise. They sell little packs of it at any auto parts store.

With badly grooved rotors, you can either be patient until the pads wear in, or replace the rotor.

I hope this helps!

I always give a good application of my brakes when I first start riding before I actually need to use them. Better to avoid a failure when they are really needed :yes: :moped:

Latest posts