Start of project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a go at pulling the idle jet using a thin screw, no way Jose. So I poured cleaner into the hole and waggled a wire down it, and topped up as needed. Left it like that to see if it works! Try again over the weekend. I'll let you know the results asap.
Thanks again to everyone for your time,
Jon

Right then, took Slabghosts tip, and hey presto, the idle jet came out quite easily, not sure what you'd do if the screw sapped or the cutters went through it! Didn't seem to bad, but put the wire from a wire brush through the small holes, and blasted carb cleaner into the hole of the carb body, all seemed well.
A couple of questions, is there anything in the hole where the idle jet came from that needs attention? And, I take it you can't puuh a wire through the idle jet lengthways?
I'm beginning to wonder if something else may be at fault. I now have fuel at the carb and a spark, so do you think it may be a valve problem? Done a compression test if that helps, but would any of you think a valve may be at fault, if so which one, inlet or outlet or both?

Had some good news today, went up to Nottingham and saw Nottingham Forest beat Cardiff City 3 - 1!! (soccer)

Spray carb cleaner through the ports the jets came out of. If it comes out somewhere else you should be good. Tap the clean jets back in their original places. Be sure the intake ports are clear one heads. And the intake horns are clear to the carbs. If it still is cold when running you may have exhaust plugged in the header. Wouldn't hurt to check/ set valve clearance.

Also, I saw a picture on line of a piece of wire going through the idle jet lengthways, but mine appears to be solid. Which is right?
Jon

You can get a wire in lengthwise from either end but it cannot go all the way through. This is the way they are designed to be. As for the part of spraying you already have it seems.
and blasted carb cleaner into the hole of the carb body, all seemed well.
:good:

Success! I used one strand of copper cable from an old piece of flex, and pushed it through the idle jet, then boiled it in water, used carb cleaner and put it back in. Then I noticed the main jet still wasn't as clean as I thought, so used a straightened paper clip to clean that hole. Put it all back on the bike, and fuel poured out, from a split fuel hose!! Actually had a new 1m length, only arrived this week, so that was a bit of luck at last. Fired up the bike, and woop woop, all cylinders working to a degree. Bit of a misfire now, but that can be sorted out later.
Like to thank everyone who offered advice, I have enjoyed spending the time doing this, and learnt a lot. A couple of things I would like to point out that I have learnt, and that is when people give the advice, it has to be crystal clear, as if you are explaining to an idiot, someone like me. What is clean to one person, may not be good enough for someone else. Also, it is nice to talk to people who are willing to give their time and effort to pass on the info.

Permission to shout HURRAH very loudly,

Hope to talk to you soon,

Jon

Very true, those jets and tiny pin holes have to be absolutely clear to their full original diameter.

Back together now I'd run 8 oz of atf to a full tank to help clean everything completely.
Burn through a few tanks minimum.

idiot proof explanation hmmmmm ...tall order ...some of the smartest minds hav some of the dummest hands and vice-versa ...but there enough of us here here to make one competant oldwinger even if it take a few of us whaT DAN SAID IS GOOD IDEA :mrgreen:

chewy999":3uq46hi1 said:
Success! I used one strand of copper cable from an old piece of flex, and pushed it through the idle jet, then boiled it in water, used carb cleaner and put it back in. Then I noticed the main jet still wasn't as clean as I thought, so used a straightened paper clip to clean that hole. Put it all back on the bike, and fuel poured out, from a split fuel hose!! Actually had a new 1m length, only arrived this week, so that was a bit of luck at last. Fired up the bike, and woop woop, all cylinders working to a degree. Bit of a misfire now, but that can be sorted out later.
Like to thank everyone who offered advice, I have enjoyed spending the time doing this, and learnt a lot. A couple of things I would like to point out that I have learnt, and that is when people give the advice, it has to be crystal clear, as if you are explaining to an idiot, someone like me. What is clean to one person, may not be good enough for someone else. Also, it is nice to talk to people who are willing to give their time and effort to pass on the info.

Permission to shout HURRAH very loudly,

Hope to talk to you soon,

Jon

I'll treat only very few who have proven themselves like idiots. However I will keep explaining until one way is understood. :hihihi: