Starter chain

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
Today my starter would not engage the engine. The starter was spinning fast but the engine would not spin. I have had on and off trouble with the starter clutch not catching, but this sounds different. There is no rattle that sounds like it is trying to catch like all the previous times. Engine runs fine if I push start it. In fact I rode 65 miles back home after I started it and there was not a hitch.

Anybody ever heard of the starter chain actually breaking? I will pull the starter off this weekend to see if I can tell anything but something tells me I am going to be pulling my motor soon.

I've never heard of the starter chain breaking but I suppose it's possible. I think it's more likely the clutch slipping or the starter gears stripped.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158986#p158986:22hwj83l said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 pm[/url]":22hwj83l]
I've never heard of the starter chain breaking but I suppose it's possible. I think it's more likely the clutch slipping or the starter gears stripped.
Yeah, it is all speculation until I can get in there but I can't help but be curious.

If the start chain had broken, it would have balled up in there, and prolly locked the engine down. At the very least it would be making a lot of noise with the engine running. Most likely the starter clutch is worn, or, as Dan mentioned, the oil is too heavy.
Possible too is that the splines on either the sprocket, OR the starter end have stripped. Should be easy to find out what the problem is once the starter is off.

Is it possible that the starter clutch mechanism is sticking. There was an older post about using Seafoam in the oil and that it help clean the gunk out of the little balls that need to move through centrifugal force to engage the starter. Any chance that is the problem here?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158997#p158997:fxz9r60p said:
tuna » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 am[/url]":fxz9r60p]
Is it possible that the starter clutch mechanism is sticking. There was an older post about using Seafoam in the oil and that it help clean the gunk out of the little balls that need to move through centrifugal force to engage the starter. Any chance that is the problem here?
There is definitely a chance that it is this.

New observation-I tried the starter again this evening. You know, on the chance that it fixed itself. Anyway, I noticed that it took the starter a long time to spin down after I let off the button. It spun longer than it has in the past when it was spinning the rotor but not engaging the starter clutch. Curiouser and curiouser.

Sure sounds like the clutch mechanism is gummed up. Can you get the bike started by bumping it? You run the seafoam for 50-75 easy miles and drain. Don't rev the bike past 4-5 K. I would drive home and turn off the bike and immediately hit the starter and see what you get. If you don't have help for the bump start maybe you could gently warm the starter and tap it with a rubber mallet to see if you loosen the starter clutch enough to get the bike to start. After the seafoam the oil will come out very black. Use 8 oz of seafoam. I think you have a problem that will take a little finesse to straighten out with out any major wrenching required.

Not sure what your experience level is with Wing starters is but if you decide to pull it look for the article on the easiest way to do it. I think they tell you leave the bike on its side stand to keep the starter chain in place. I am not at all opposed to pulling the starter and every body who pulls and rebuilds says the starter works better. I always like to try the easy fixes before I go to the more complicated ones.

I have plenty of experience with the starters. I have pulled it more than once so this won't be too difficult. If it turns out to the be planetary gears as Dan suggested, and that seems very reasonable to me, I will get a new starter or buy a used one on ebay and rebuild it. That would be a whole lot easier than pulling the motor to rebuild the starter clutch or replace the chain.

Either way, I will know tomorrow as I plan to tear into it then. I will post the results.

:popcorn: :good:
Gotta start somewhere...(pun intended)... :BigGrin:

Is it possible that the starter clutch mechanism is sticking. There was an older post about using Seafoam in the oil and that it help clean the gunk out of the little balls, pins and springs that need to move through centrifugal force to engage the starter.

+1

It is definitely not the starter and not the starter chain. Both are in fine shape. That leaves the starter clutch. I will grab some seafoam either today or tomorrow and hopefully that will clean it up enough to get it working again. If not, then I know what is in front of me. I REALLY don't want to pull the engine but I will if I have to. I just know that if I pull the engine, I will end up spending more money because I will start to think about all the other jobs I should do while it is apart. :roll:

personally id use atf over seafoam ....i dont care what thry say seafoam is not oil and can damage motor ....aft is 50 times more safer than seafoam id never use it in oil ..for any reason ...

I'm with Joe on this. I'd probably drain the oil and run a little lighter grade along with 1/2 qt of ATF. At least it's made to lubricate and be used with wet clutches.

I think either method will work. If you are interested in the Seafoam product google around and you will see which way you want to go. Cheap to try and might save you some work. Please let us know which method you used and the results. Good Luck, I think you will like the results. I would rather ride than wrench. I hope you will soon be doing the riding part.

I dumped in some Seafoam. I have used that in the crankcase on other vehicles and never had an issue. I ran it for a few minutes on Saturday and planned to ride a bit yesterday but I ended up in the bed with some kind of stomach virus so it will have to wait.

If that does not free it up, I am going to dump the oil and fill it with diesel from the fly wheel observation hole and let it sit for a while. I won't start it with it that full but I will crank it over in the hopes that it will soak into the starter clutch. If that does not do it, then I will pull it and get after it.