Starter chain

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I think you need to take a 40-50 mile easy ride and give the starter a buzz when you get home and in the garage. The ride should get the gunk out. If the starter works after the ride I would dump the old oil and change the oil filter. Use 10-40 oil designed for wet clutches. Hope this works out for you, it has for others. Then go for a nice long scenic ride, good for the soul.

Every time I used sea foam, I put the sea foam in the crank case and then run a full tank of gas through the bike and then drain the oil. I've done it a couple times and every winter, the starter clutch still slips whenthe motor is cold and the oil is think.

Now that my motor is out and the rotor is off, guess what I am also replacing? I hope that fixes my problem for another 100,000 miles!

I am running 5w40 currently and not really interested in running anything thinner. I have had this problem in the past when it is cold but never when it was warm outside or when the engine was warm. This past weekend it was seeming like a major pain to to pull he engine if the seafoam does not fix it, but I am more philosophical about it now.

Well the sea foam and 60 miles has not touched it. Next up, a diesel bath for the inside the motor. It will actually be cheaper than the seafoam. If that does not do it, then I plan to pull the motor.

Looks like a motor pull is in my future. I have tried the seafoam in the oil and the diesel in the crankcase and still nothing. Both of those methods have helped in the past but it has been a no go this time. I may go ahead and replace the water pump while I am at it. I definitely want to check the oil clean out screen as well.

When all this started, I did not want to pull the motor but now that I have to, I am kinda looking forward to getting in there and poking around. It should be interesting.

Not necessary............try this to eliminate starter clutch sticking / squeal...................(read the article / link)

file.php

file.php

file.php

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=12909

oh well you put the best effort in play you could ....reminds me of trying to get stock carbs working on hooch went through every set i could to get one to work no go no go no go finally had to go single carb route ...best move i did on the build ....hope it works out for you now :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160830#p160830:xczkvuyc said:
rudolphwolven » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:06 pm[/url]":xczkvuyc]
Not necessary............try this to eliminate starter clutch sticking / squeal...................(read the article / link)

file.php

file.php

file.php

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=12909

:popcorn: interesting ...looks to me like it will work ...great mod ... :thanks:

Thanks, Joe. That looks like a great idea. I have already started the tear down process so I am going to go ahead and pull the motor. But, I will drill and tap the rear cover while I have it off to work on it in the future.

Interesting. I have removed my motor and the back cover. My rotor does not have the clean out holes. I have no idea if someone has already been in there and put a different one in or if something else weird is going on. I guess I will be pulling the rotor when I get more time to see what is going on.

The ones on that thread and on Randakk's video were 1000's. Mine is an 1100. A quick look on eBay makes me think the design changed on the 1100's.

Does anybody know if spraying a stator with electric motor/contact cleaner will hurt anything? My stator has given me no indications of problems with charging and it tests out fine for everything. But, it does have some thick sludge on it that I would like to clean up before I put everything back together.

I assume the sludge on the stator is what I am going to find when I pull off the rotor and look at the starter clutch.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161142#p161142:3qr5xwd6 said:
Andyb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:28 pm[/url]":3qr5xwd6]
Does anybody know if spraying a stator with electric motor/contact cleaner will hurt anything? My stator has given me no indications of problems with charging and it tests out fine for everything. But, it does have some thick sludge on it that I would like to clean up before I put everything back together.

I assume the sludge on the stator is what I am going to find when I pull off the rotor and look at the starter clutch.
I wouldn't use anything stronger than a degreasing detergent. Don't chance damaging the lacquer insulation.