starting problem?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgq700

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy, 76 gl 1000 and will start right up and stop as soon as i let off the start button? Hold the start button in and runs/revs up clean untill you release the button? all stock except a dyna unit and resistor. Any one ever have this problem? I am new to wings and just love the old 1000's Thank's Much if someone has a idea what could be the problem.

check the resistor (mounted on the coil) and the wires going to it. In run voltage goes thru that resistor, in start the resistor is bypassed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103109#p103109:98g7i2wn said:
roncar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:05 am[/url]":98g7i2wn]
check the resistor (mounted on the coil) and the wires going to it. In run voltage goes thru that resistor, in start the resistor is bypassed.
+1

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103113#p103113:1izzcoyg said:
dan filipi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 am[/url]":1izzcoyg]
Could temporarily bypass that resistor an see if it runs.
Wire jumper across end to end of the resistor.
I don't know what the resistance value ohmage should be to test it.
Just as a test as the coil will overheat with 12 volt continuously.
A test light is your friend as there will not be any voltage on the coil side, just make sure that you have voltage on the ignition side as it could be a fault in that circuit. Most commonly it is a faulty ballast resistor

I only have voltage at the coil/ballast when the starter button is pressed? I was thinking ign. switch, however all lights and every thing works when turned on except no voltage at the ballast ,only has voltage while the starter is pressed? the kill switch still works also as no start action unless in run as it should be. I guess i just have a wierd problem that isnt common to wings.... just my luck!

Got to be somewhere around the resistor. I would suspect the connections where the wires connect to the resistor.
Coils.jpg

today will be the end of my problem! with the pic that roncar posted for me , the old girl will go for a cruze this evening! I will post the problem! Thank's Much for the help! This site is a wealth of info... Now that i have read some i have to do the single carb deal! I wonder how well a old S&S super B would work?... Again, Much Thank's !!

From my readings and conversations on here,i think the b would be too large,but i could be wrong.would love to see someone on here use a bike carb,be neat to see

Just a thought, i used that old carb with just jet changes over the years on my old flh at 74 ci then to 80,86 then 93 and never a problem. However i seem to remember they were bilt for pulsing intake so that may throw a big wrench in the hole..

problem found ! the cloth covered wire from the ballast res. to the harness was opem in the center of the length of the wire! It must have went to dead ground at some point in it's life and when it hit a bump in the road, just broke in half but with the cloth outer cover, not visible. i only found it bi removing all the ign harness connections and trace each wire with a ohm meter. Thank You All for the help and input.. Special Thx. to Roncar for the honda pic of the ign harness. That took everything to black and white.

Latest posts