starting the bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawpower

Reaction score
my 1983 1100 Interstate....sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but the bike is new to me and I am just learning everything....My question is, when I start the bike cold, is it normal for the rpms to rev to 4000+/- with the choke open? Does this sound like standard operating procedure - choke wide open, throttle open, I hit start = the bike starts up and she runs at 4-5000 rpms.
1. About how long is it suppose to run at high rpms (4000 +/-) ?
2. At what point do you shut the choke down?

There is no smoke but I am wondering if it is normal to run at such high rpm ?

Thanks for all the help!
Ride safe.
TC

When you start the bike on choke, let it rev up not to long, then slowly push the choke in to lower the RPM enough not to stall, then shut the choke when it holds its idle. The more you leave the choke on, the carbon you get in the motor.

hmmm if you mean you pull the choke out and it starts ...and runs at high rpm ...you sould be able to push it some and the rpm drop some ...more you push in thr lower the rpm gose ...it sould get to where it will idle when it warmed up ....that said if the carbs are out of sync then this can cause it to run at hidh rpm ...that said idle jets pluged will cause it not to be able to idle and it will die unless rpm is kept high ....that being said there is and idle sdjustment screw you can get at from right side of bike ,,,behind the caebs ..right at the linkage that sets idle rpm that could adjust wrong and keeping linkage from going all the way to idle possoition .....

sweet...that helps a lot. just started it and backed the choke off as soon as it fired up....slow and steady unitl it idoled steady.... :thanks: all the best!

The steps in the owners manual are.

1. Start the engine, leaving the throttle closed.
2. Immediately after the engine starts, open the choke to keep the idle at 1,500-2,500 rpm.
3. About a half minute after the engine starts, open the choke lever all the way.

Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts