Static timing a '79 woes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the 79 gl1000 frankenbike all back together and it ran...so I started on timing and tuning procedures. I ran into a problem because the static timing light (12volt LED) only works on one set of points. Traced the wires and there is 12 volts to both sets of points until everything is connected, then one set of points is only getting 4volts. What am I missing? Static timing light only works on points 1/2, and not 3/4. Should I pull the coils and look for something there? Maybe I need to go back and read the procedure again.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I think I figured it out. The power lead for the coils backfeeds the LED timing light so it will flash but not stay on. When I blocked open the opposite set of points, the LED timing light works as it should, so timing is done and I can move on to vaccuum carb synch the carbs and trouble-shoot the voltage regulator.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216758#p216758:icxobmka said:
pidjones » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:44 am[/url]":icxobmka]
Slip a piece of paper in the off-set. And use an incandescent bulb so you don't have to worry about polarity.

Yup, piece of paper did it. For the test light I'm using an LED 1157 tailight bulb from wally world that wasn't good enough for the bike, what surprised me is that it is not polarity specific, works both ways. Solded test leads to it and it stays in the bike tool kit in a pill bottle. That bulb came in a "try me!" package so there is a tiny 12v battery included to use as a roadside continuity tester. Saved money on a tool I hope I don't get to use on the road.

Latest posts