Stereo upgrade recommendations

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, been in GL hibernation mode but getting ready to do some work/upgrades to my 83 I (and others).

The bagger needs a new stereo/sound system.

Any recommendations? I would like to mount it where the orig. one is so size matters. Don't need a cd player but would like mp3 digital hookups which I assume they all have nowdays.

I assume I need to get an amp too. would like it to sound decent but don't need a system that is worth more than the bike - if ya know what I mean.

thanks

summer is coming!!!

I do not know if there is a cheap way of doing it right,or if Im thinking on the same page as you but...
What I did when mine wasnt working correctly...

I repaced all the panels with stock radio delete pieces,and found a used cycle-sound dash piece that houses an older twin knob 4 channel stereo.A nice digetal unit with a cassete deck is what I used,but you could put any car stereo in it you wanted,including on with a USB port or MP3 plug.I also installed a good quality 4" speakers.

Then I bought a J&M 2003DUO CB/Intercom with the Harley Davidson harness.This wires one channel(rear for me) of the stereo through the J&M unit.

Now I have a great intercom,a CB better than anybodys stock one,weather band, and the stereo works both on the dash and on the helmet or both by fading front to back on the stereo.The 2003 unit also has seperate volumes for the CB,intercom and stereo right at you grip.I love it,as do my passengers.

Attachments

• dash 003.JPG
    dash 003.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 197
All the looking I did for a unit without a CD player, USB, and MP3 capable plus 50 plus watts or more led me to Boss Audio. Light weight and not too expensive. Seems pretty loud in the garage but I have not been down the road with it yet to give it a good review.

I like it!

I had not thought of putting it up front. but without the need for the radio gauge - that is the best place for it I reckon.

what did you do to the space where the old radio was? fake plastic/wood panel?

the 12 speakers - wow! with the top on - the sound comes out the holes in the side?

I will check out that unit asap!

thanks

I found an OEM panel to replace the original radio on ebay. The head unit has 60 watts per channel, so I don't have an external amp. I'm going to cut ports in the bottom of the trunk for the subs, then add midranges, tweeters and bass ports to the trunk lid. I may add an amp later, but I'm pushing the alternator stator pretty hard as it is now. External alternator - someday...

Brian, Go to wally worlds site and look up ssl-ML4ousa, I bought one for my Wing, 20.00 bucks, This radio is NOT in stock USB,SD,MP3, With remote, 50x4 output, not sure but approx 4" deep, no CD, Charlie in NC

Latest posts