super glue and baking soda

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
saw a you tube of a guy repairing plastic using super glue and then immediately sprinkling baking soda on the glue.
Almost instant bond and hard. So I thought I would try it on a old side cover that was missing a tab. Used a piece of L-shaped steel as tab replacement and glued it to plastic side cover. Very strong. I dont know how it will hold up but I'll find out down the road and get back with results.
Very surprised it work with dissimilar materials. just thought I'd pass it on if someone needed a quick repair. here is a pic.
dave

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 565
Q-bond uses the same principal, but uses a powdered plastic or aluminuminum powder, instead of baking soda. This stuff is super strong. I've fixed MANY plastic and metal breaks with it. Dries quickly, and you can grind/drill it just like normal plastic or metal. Never tried the baking soda, but now, I just might give it a try... :good:

[video]https://youtu.be/5PVOdRx4SSA[/video]

so far I sanded it and hit it with gray sand-able auto primer. I read somewhere direct sun was no good. Will have to see if paint protects against sun.
also started a repair on hole area of side cover that was really wasted. Ear was completely broken off from rest of cover here is a pic and I will post finished pic later
dave

Attachments

• repair2.jpg
    repair2.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 491
tried soaking the unpainted tab repair ( although just for a few minutes )
no noticeable softening or crumbling.
dave
also tried to use on a polypropylene plastic, did NOT work at all. oh well

Poly plastic is too oily for any glue I know of. Yes super glue does break down in sunlight. Paint should protect it.

here are two pics of finished tab repair and ear repair.
this is a quick fix so detail is not great, not restoration quality. I just wanted to be able to stick on stock covers to replace my one piece tank/side cover that you can see in my avatar. so far happy with superglue and baking soda for this type of repair. needless to say be very careful to not get this concoction on your skin! Just for fun I tried to drill and tap to check for strength. No good.
dave

Attachments

• tab repair.jpg
    tab repair.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 432
  • ear repair.jpg
    ear repair.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 438
Thanks Joe, not getting rid of it as I like it myself.
Just thought I'd like to be able to change look back and forth when I felt like it and had some broken down covers in the shed.
Plus once in awhile I would like to show the single carb which is mostly hidden by gas tank side of the one piece.
dave

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 399
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 394
running great. But if I let the bike sit too long it will crank slow and take a while to start.
I think it's mostly the ignition system but money says it will stay like it is now, no electronic upgrade in near future.
It has enough power that if I get on it real hard with secondary I have noticed a little clutch slip. Very fun to ride around and pretend it is a "sport bike"
Two up riding is also good and my wife enjoys riding the honda more than the harley (Maybe it's the small butt pad she has to sit on, but I still enjoy my shovelhead for what used to be bar hopping but is now coffee-shop stop rides.)
dave

Attachments

• harley.jpg
    harley.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 383

Latest posts