Switch by Throttle Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GILLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the switch next to the throttle, (off-on-off) and just below are two letters stamped
into the switch housing. One is an "H" and the other is a "P". Can anyone tell me what they stand for. :help:

Thanks, GILLT

Off-On_off is the kill switch. The H&P letters are leftovers for a switch no longer used. If memory serves "P" was for parking light. Perhaps someone else has the switch still and will tell us.

GILLT":2v2mgprh said:
I was looking at the switch next to the throttle, (off-on-off) and just below are two letters stamped
into the switch housing. One is an "H" and the other is a "P". Can anyone tell me what they stand for. :help:

Thanks, GILLT
On my bike...if you switch it to the "H" it means "HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE" and the "P" means "PULL BACK!!!...PULL BACK!!!" (Ya know these old girls has gots some power!) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

My '83 has an H, P, and a dot (from left to right).

Since these characters are on the little landing of a 1/2 round casting it appears there was provision for a switch in that area at some time.

I wonder could that have something to do with the extra wire at the headlight, maybe used on UK models?
There's no extra wiring in the loom on the throttle side though.

Otay...show of hands...how many of ya'll went out and looked at your switch to see if yours had these markings? :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
:smilie_happy:
I did, and mine does have the "H", "P", and the little dot. I looked in the owner's manual, and there was no mention of it. Haven't looked at the Service manuals, tho. Seems strange that Honda would continue to use a switch pod, or continue to cast/mold a switch pod with these markings if they had no function. A new mystery has come to light.... :read:

I didn't look yet but I will now....Yep you are right.... because it is nrxt to the throttle it is probably
code to tell the driver if the throttle sticks "TO PUSH HARD UNTIL IT STOPS"
P H .
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Youse guys....
I got to thinking, and it seems that the headlight switch makes the most sense, since full-time headlights weren't mandatory until the '80s. I remember my '76 Hondamatic 750 had a headlight switch...you had to turn the lights on if you wanted them. So "H" would be headlight, "P" would be park lights, and the little dot was Off. :yes:

AApple":7wjj5y05 said:
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif

Youse guys....
I got to thinking, and it seems that the headlight switch makes the most sense, since full-time headlights weren't mandatory until the '80s. I remember my '76 Hondamatic 750 had a headlight switch...you had to turn the lights on if you wanted them. So "H" would be headlight, "P" would be park lights, and the little dot was Off. :yes:

There we go. Now that is making some sense. I remember now on the old Honda's that set up. I think you Nailed it. :thanks:

AApple":2w7o0ly2 said:
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif

Youse guys....

100% correct! Alot of the early 80's bikes have markings like these left over from when they had a headlight switch. Both of my early 80's Kawasaki also have this.

AApple":aq5ivdr5 said:
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif
doh.gif
smiley29.gif

Youse guys....
That makes sense to me. I never noticed it either till I read this thread and I looked at it Thursday while I was riding my bike.