Thank you for allowing me to join your group. I am 64 and have not had a motorcycle since my 1971 Honda CB100.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIM VANMETER

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1995 20th anniversary 54000 miles like new for 3,000$ and also a 1986 1200 Aspencade at 54000 miles and like new 2800$, I like different things about both bikes. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks, Tim

Hey Tim. Welcome to the group. I own a 85 and have since it came out of the crate. It was made with some shortfalls. The electrical output is poor. They tend to burn up the stator. They have a know issue with the stator connector. They get hot and fail. The fix is to take the connector completely out and hard wire with soldered and insulated replacement. They need regular water pump maintenance. The dash can have issues as well. They are fun to ride and you can put on many miles in day if you want. I have never owned a 6 cylinder 1500. What kept me away from them was the weight. Hope you are able to pick up one that is ready to ride and enjoy the bejeezus out it.

Welcome to The Forum and enjoy!

I'm biased, since I've owned my '86 since new. Haven't experience with the 1500s, but some wrenching friends have stated they are more difficult to work on due to the 'tupperware'. My '86 had a stator problem that was corrected under warranty and has worked ever since. I did have to replace the connector for the three yellow wires on the stator, but hasn't cropped up since. I replaced the water pump at about 60k miles, it was just starting to show signs of wiggle in the shaft. I just considered it a preventative maintenance item. I've replaced the fuel pump once, the ticking seemed to be getting louder, so another preventative measure. I had the carbs rebuilt after it had a long nap, they were leaking. I had the rear oil seal at the drive shaft replaced due to it leaking, not a lot but was making the rear wheel a mess. I've done other maintenance type items but they would be expected on a machine that is getting up in age.

The machines you are looking at are old enough that there are few if any dealers that will work on them, the one I found will never see it again after they jacked it up worse than when I brought it to them. If you aren't going to work on them yourself, find an independent mechanic that comes from a recommendation.

Best of luck....

Latest posts