The "DRAGON" has been properly slain.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to go to gastonia NC for a couple days for work so decided to make a bike trip out of it.
After meandering through the backroads of VA and WV most of saterday I finally made a beline towards deals gap,stopping in TN for the night.
Sunday morning I concard the "TAIL of the DRAGON" (US 129) then road the moonshiner 28 eventually wondering back east through SC and ending up at my "required" destination in Gastonia sunday night where I stayed untell wednesday noon.
Wednesday I backroaded it north to the BLUERIDGE PARKWAY stopping back off in mount airy (MAYBERRY) for a porkchop sandwich at the BLUEBIRD,a haircut at FLOYDS BARBERSHOP a chocolate malt from the pharmacy soda shop and checked out wallys garage and the courthouse.
Wednesday night and all day thursday I enjoyed the PARKWAY some more as well as the SKYLINE DRIVE through shenendowah national park.Exiting and headed north to maryland crossing it west,then north into PA where I stayed thursday night.
I finally made it home friday night after beelining OH all day.

Almost 2500 trouble free miles to be almost taken out by a moran in a CIVIC 50 miles from home.

The wing,ofcourse,ran flawlwssly.

Attachments

• North Carolina 2013 197.jpg
    North Carolina 2013 197.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 187
  • North Carolina 2013 194.jpg
    North Carolina 2013 194.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 180
  • North Carolina 2013 190.jpg
    North Carolina 2013 190.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 185
  • North Carolina 2013 174.jpg
    North Carolina 2013 174.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 183
  • North Carolina 2013 145.jpg
    North Carolina 2013 145.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 179
Now that sounds like a fantastic journey, someday, just someday I might get to make a run like that. Glad you got to enjoy it. Stupid cagers, they say most accidents happen within 25 miles of home, so I'm thinking about moving. :smilie_happy:

Dang! Now the dragon has been slain I guess I'll just ride around here. Looks like you had a great ride.
:smilie_happy:

I will be going down there in July. Really looking forward to it! Not because of the Tail but because of all the other roads in the area and the BRP. Glad you had a great trip.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93220#p93220:26qx96sf said:
brianinpa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm[/url]":26qx96sf]
I will be going down there in July. Really looking forward to it! Not because of the Tail but because of all the other roads in the area and the BRP. Glad you had a great trip.

All the roads in the area are great,just that the dragon is so publisized for whatever reason.
The BRP is also great with great views but I got bored with it after a bit.Kinda like drinking from a fire hydrant,hard to take it all in.I later realized what was missing.The towns and local people.I enjoy taking in all the local atmospere and missed that on the parkway. Glad I did it,but next time I am that way I will stick to the backroads and little towns.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93253#p93253:2wcb3kje said:
Tory » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am[/url]":2wcb3kje]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93220#p93220:2wcb3kje said:
brianinpa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm[/url]":2wcb3kje]

All the roads in the area are great,just that the dragon is so publisized for whatever reason.
The BRP is also great with great views but I got bored with it after a bit.Kinda like drinking from a fire hydrant,hard to take it all in.I later realized what was missing.The towns and local people.I enjoy taking in all the local atmospere and missed that on the parkway. Glad I did it,but next time I am that way I will stick to the backroads and little towns.

And that is pretty much why I really don't need to ride the dragon. Too many bikes/cars fighting for the same space at the same time. I do not need to be one of the numerous daily accidents that occur each summer.

I work about 45 minutes North of that portion of US129. It is just a road, and I do enjoy riding over it several times a year - but primarily for the great food at the Gap deli! I also ride it in winter, when the station and deli are closed, only a couple other vehicles seen, and I can really enjoy it. I have a 170 mile loop that goes through there, and includes over 1000 curves.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93287#p93287:31u782kj said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm[/url]":31u782kj]
The "Gap" is like Mulholland drive here I suspect, way too busy on the weekends.
The rockets are nuts really so I stay far away.

Dan, a few years ago my wife and i rented a Mustang and drove Mulholland. I was not impressed. The road i really loved was the Ortega Hwy from the coast up to Lake Elsinore (of "On Any Sunday" fame and the Elsinore Gran Prix).

If we had more time, i am sure there are many many roads just as fun but with 100% less traffic.

Has anyone ever started a list of "fun" roads nationwide? If we travel, it would be nice to swing over to a few of these areas instead of getting run over by regular tourists.

Nice! Beautiful ride, lol. I think theres a lot of good roads out in southern california that we just don't take advantage of. Glad to see you properly geared up though, a lot of people don't like to fully gear up..

Latest posts