the mongruel getting a playmate and some more yrs added to its parts list

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im pleased to anounce that im going to jion the list of 1100 owners with an 82 1100 that orirginaly was an interstate that has been converted to a standard and i mean standard with all the stock stuff ....as i was told that a standard and the interstate swap clothes on the spot im sure the standard look just like an interstate .....its just totaly stock.... and thats the way im planing on keeping it......cant wait to get it .....

im also getting a bunch of 83 parts

and a 86 1200 motor which is going to be for my last transformation on the mongruel this winter....my plans are to put 1200 motor together with 1000 heads and carbs from 75 motor and put it in my mongruel ....ive look at this enough to do it with no doubt in my mind .....the only thing i havnt figured out yet is what kind of rpm i might be turning at 70 mph with the 80 final drive i cant seem to locate any meaningful specs on the 1200 gearing and primary reduction ratios if any body knows where i could find them it would be a big help......

............... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Congrats Joe!

We have a 85 1200 manual in the Gallery.
This is the gearing page:

image.php

Also in the Gallery, we have the "Gold Wing differences" spreadsheet split into 10 pages,

gallery/album.php?album_id=274

A little disclaimer, I'm not certain of the accuracy so use what you can but verify as needed.

JOE
Although you are a very resourcefull person,I dont believe even you will be able to put the 1000 heads on an 1200 motor.
From what I understand the 1200 is a hole new beast all on its own.

The 1000 and 1100 are interchangeable.

Now if one where to start with a 1980 1100 motor(the fastest wings up untell the 1800s)and combine the heads off a 75 1000 with the bigger cams,adding the weber carb setup of randaaks.....Oh crap,amd I dreaming out loud again :music:

thats what i thought to but i have learn differently......the yrs 85 86 will bolt right up to 1000 frameand the biggest difference is the 1200 is wider or the stroke is longer but the heads will bolt up......the way ive got the gearing figured thanks to dan posting it for me this is going to be greared like the 80 81 1100 im not real happy about that so i might not do this to the mongruel ......i was hoping for more touring freindly gearing.....the only way ican come up with the gearing i want is to put in a 1500 swingarm and final drive as i dont like the 1200 set up on the swingarm....but this a lot to do ...to much in my book.....

so tory a radical street bike may be the best option ....im figuring about 100plus hp at least in this set up but you never know ...the only kicker is how much rpm you could turn with 1200 it would have turn more rpm like a 1000 or 1100 to get full avantage out of the 75 cams and carbs i bet it will but you never know

so this grandious delusion is up in the air on what to do

thanks dan on the info

i was wrong its going to come out geared about like an 82 1100 just a tad lower rpm in 5 gear this is not to bad .....im asuming that 82 turn about 4000 rpm at 70mph
im not sure......it funny with grearing thing the 84 1200 about one gear taller than 85 and 86 1200 but wont fit into the 1000 frame because of the rear ignition stuff hits the frame......

joedrum":qmesg5l6 said:
i was wrong its going to come out geared about like an 82 1100 just a tad lower rpm in 5 gear this is not to bad .....im asuming that 82 turn about 4000 rpm at 70mph
im not sure......it funny with grearing thing the 84 1200 about one gear taller than 85 and 86 1200 but wont fit into the 1000 frame because of the rear ignition stuff hits the frame......
You are right 4000/70ish.

~O~

well ive hased everything out and the mongruel 1050 is going to stay that way it is ......it dose have future parts upgrades to take this to the limit the 83 motor im getting got lots of parts that when or if my 1000 motor wears out ive got pistons crank rods and stuff that will fit in the 1000 block after being bored out to except the 1100 pistons......

also would have 83 trans to put in that would take gearing switches ive made to the max ....im guessing this would put the 70mph rpm on the mongruel at 2900 to 3100 range....this might be over steping and delusional...but i have the parts.....if i could figure out the right carburation setup for these old wings iwouldnt think twice about it .....the wort thing about goldwings is the carbs ....i dont care what anybody else thinks the system sucks...honda never figured it out
the room for improvement could be as much as 20 % id think...ive got some ideals and will try them when i get a roof over my head when the doghouse is done..

but on the 1200 motor project the bikis going to be custom from the ground up

83 frame forks finaldrive

wiring by joedrum that will include a lot of moderin mods that we all have been discussing in recent posts....

gas tank somthing gravity fed maybe ,maybe not

tires something joedrum engineered to use car tyre back and front as wide as possible....

the 83 frame is titled

im going for somthing thats going to scream and pull the tire off the ground easy 1-2-3 gear ...my bsa would kill you if you werent paying attention to what you were doing...

this is going to be like an engineering corse for my son.....so im going to do alot of things that wouldnt do for myself but im going to anyway as to keep my sons... :shock: wide open and outcome very extreme to keep his intrest by leaning towards a vision more like he would want without telling him that....
im sure one day his ride time on this bike will pass mine ....i dont like to be tricky but somtimes you have to use there own intrest as a chain around there neck to keep them in class :mrgreen:

so this project has a lot riding on it that has nothing to do with bikes....

well ive been looking at some sprcs and it seems that i was wong about the 1200 motor having a longer stroke than the 1000 and 1100 motors ...according to the info i was looking at the stroke on all three are the same and only the bore is different ....i might have the numbers wrong my memory sucks but 1000 is 72mm 1100 75mm 1200 76mm bore and 64.7mm stroke ....

the 1200 must have a bigger combustion area to come up with the extra 100cc with only a 1mm bigger bore when the 1100 has 3mm bigger bore or the info is wrong.....

putting 1000 heads on either 1100 or 1200 motor is going to raise the compession ratio quite a bit ....im thinking more so on the 1100.....im thinking that the 1200 being wider must be setup to be less of an interference motor than 1000 and 1100.....ill have to check this info to make sure its right.....

this makes me think that the block is wider only to increase combustion area ....this has good points and bad points....but im thinking mostly good when matched with 1000 heads....it sould rev as good or better than 1000 1100 .....ill have to check the stock compression ratios.....

MAy need to rethink theere some.. DAn has matched up the head gasket set from the 1200 and the 1100 and they are the same.. IIRC.. the 1000 may be diffrent in mounting and may not work on the 1200.. just speculating here.. also would you need run the belts for the 1200 or the 1000 if the heads are swapped??

yes joep...iwould think the belts and cam pulleys would have to change if the belts are longer seems like the pulleys would have to be bigger.....the 1000 head is no different than the 1100 except for combustion area....meaning that it has a smaller area above the piston which would raise the compression ratio on the 1100 or 1200

with the 1100 proably getting the biggest boost seeing how the 1200 combustion area is bigger to begin with.....

makes me think that 1200 has some pretty thin clylinder walls....and with honda useing smaller radiator 1200 seems like a bad move on there part....either they cut down the cooling capasity to crowd in bigger or thicker cylinder sleaves or the 1200 is essintaly a pumped out to the max 1000....either way id never run a 1200 with a thermostat period ....it has to run hotter and putting a smaller radiator on them was just dumb on honda part...

theres a chance that you could put 1200 pistons in a 1000 block or1100block ...not that id want to do that...

im just gathering all the info ican on this .....this is what i like about all the info you can get on the forums..... :laptop: :Doh2: :rtfm: :mrgreen:

thats why im posting the info as i go ....its my memory ....if i didnt i would just loose it....

i want this bobber project to come out good and try not to make to many bad moves as possible...... :laptop:

im not locked in on anything yet im just posting on ideals abut the possibilities that im thinking about that could be done....i do have a lot of experience on 1000s and heads and carbs from a 75 ....the 1200 has heads but no carbs .....and your input is what im looking for cause i didnt know that the 1200 heads have bigger valves...

so thanks for the info detdrbuzzard

i was thinking that the adjusting valves and the flexable ignition setup might be something i would like better than the stock setup....plus the fact i cant seem to leave things alone thinking i can to it different and make something my own part of the fun ...not nessarly common sense.... :rtfm: :Doh2:

It'll be fun alright! When it is done what will you call it? A GL1249+? :smilie_happy: Maybe instead of Mongruel, it could be Mutt? :smilie_happy:

i think your on to something like maybe the mutrat or wingmut or mutwing....we will see ....im still fishing for info and most of it is right here at home base thanks to dans hard work on this forum....

looks like im going to meet nakedtob this coming firday to get the 82 1100 standard ,83 parts bike and title and 86 1200 motor without carbs ....

this is great news for me to get this done

this will get projects on the on the table

plus i cant wait to have a naked 1100 to ride and see how these bikes compare to my 1000 ...im hoping to leave the 82 alone and keep it honda like

joedrum":3ct5cgs9 said:
plus i cant wait to have a naked 1100 to ride and see how these bikes compare to my 1000 ...im hoping to leave the 82 alone and keep it honda like

Im interested on hearing your opinion on the difference between the 1000 & 1100 standards
I'd like to get a 1000 or 1100 or maybe even a 1200 standard as a second "more sporty" bike to abuse :mrgreen: so that way my interstate will see less abuse and last longer :headscratch:

Latest posts