The vinegar cleaning for the sending unit works!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fuel filter and lines tonight and drained the nasty old gas with a turkey baster. The sending unit did not work when I got it home but a short bath in white vinegar fixed it! I'm leaving it in overnight to be sure. That saved me 25 to 65 bucks. One of the connectors broke so I'll need to solder on a new one but the tank should be operational tomorrow. I'd like to draw some fresh gas through the petcock and filter to be sure it's clean and ready to run but I can't think of a way to do it.

I've used a rubber bulb that came with an ear wax removal kit. Fill it with gas, stick the end in the fuel line, and squeeze away. I also use it to bench test carbs for leaks before installing them. The turkey baster might work as well...

I agree... use of the baster to suck gas through... need at least 1.3 gals to check both run and reserve.. gas should freely run if screens and petcock are clean... same amount of gas either way...

Latest posts