They sell these things to anybody.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Today after work, I had to jam to the bike shop to pick up my front tire before they closed. All that went well. While driving home a girl on one of those scooter thingys, don't know what kind it was - they all look the same, you know the kind with the wheel barrow tires, well this chick almost changes lanes on top of me. About the time I hit the brakes she sees me there and jerked back into her own lane for a moment. I slowed to give her the space she was looking for and she took it. Now in front of me, about 1/8th mile later, I think I see a puff of smoke from the front tire and she smacks the pavement pretty hard. Speed limit right there is 45 mph. I slam my brakes and look in my mirror for traffic behind me. Luckily he saw it too and came to a stop. Funny how the first thought in my head was to stop, then the second thought was to use my car to protect this rider laying in the middle of the street, third was to brace myself for impact from the rear. All instinc, without thinking untill after the fact. I put on my flashers and ran up to see if the girl was ok. I didn't see any blood and noticed she was fully dressed. At least she had that going for her. I asked if she was ok and she responded positively, then I asked if I could help and she asked me to pick it up. So I turned my back to the scooter and grabbed the handle and the frame near the seat and used my legs to lift. I'd been practiceing this with the Goldwing, but this scooter didn't seem as light as I expected it to be. Oh well (?) That's when I noticed traffic had stopped in all three lanes and I rolled the bike over to the right side shoulder and with her assistance we got it onto the center stand. Obviously she had an adrenalin rush go'n on. I asked if she had a phone or something and she said ya, she does. My next thought was that my car is in the street and I need to get it out of the way. So I got to my car and came home. Once home, I started feeling like a heel for not staying with her till some kind of help showed up. But, the thing is, my wife has me trained so well not to talk to other women. Lookng back, I think that's why I attended to the immediate problem, which was getting this person out of the street, then instictively thought I was finished. But now my thoughts are that this was quite obviously an inexperienced rider. And at the scooter store, they probably will just take anybody's money, sell them a helmet and wish them luck.

What a sad thing to see. :cry: :swoon:

:eek:
Glad no-one was hurt! I'm wid ya on them selling stuff to anyone. As long as they gots the money, it's SOLD! Reckon she had to take the MSB course? It's now a law here that you have to take the course to get a license....
Kudos for stopping to help, anyway! :clapping:

AApple":cexlr8h7 said:
:eek:
Glad no-one was hurt! I'm wid ya on them selling stuff to anyone. As long as they gots the money, it's SOLD! Reckon she had to take the MSB course? It's now a law here that you have to take the course to get a license....

Don't know what the law is for youths here anymore. It's all different since I was a kid. I think adults can take it in leu of the cone test at dmv.

AApple":cexlr8h7 said:
Kudos for stopping to help, anyway! :clapping:
Well, I had to stop anyways. It's unusual to see somebody just "fall off" like that.
I guess there was nothing else I could do, so I left.

I live in a collage town CMU and I see these kids riding these 2up with no head protection. and in traffic....
makes me cringe.

I'm all for freedom. but not sure if seeing some kids brains all over the road is worth all this.
and I'm told they dont even need a coarse, or special permit...
what the heck?

if you have the cash they will sell ya one! back in '76 a friend came over to show me his new 900 kawasaki. i asked him how long he had it and he said " about three weeks now ". then it hit me and i ask him who showed him how to ride a bike? his reply " they showed me how to put it in first gear at the dealer " and yes he rode it home all fifteen miles in first gear. if your scooter is 50cc or less all you need around here is a moped license on the bike, no training. good to know she was ok

I live near western illinois university and I see lots of kids riding these thing like they are bicycles...flip flops on their feet, riding with 2 people on a single seat and worst of all weaving in and out of traffic. Guess they can't understand there's a big difference between a crash at 5 mph and one at 45 mpg. Live and learn...Hopefully.

yup my 15 yr old daughter wants one and cant figure out why i wont go for it .....this is the same daughter that when she was 3 tokk and van i had out of park and went down over the cliff where we lived and completly totaled the van .....when i got down the clift tosee if she was all right ...i knew see was okay when the first thing i herd was .....im in trouble and she still had her hands on the steering wheel .....thank god for the trees that broke the stait fall of that van ....the van died on the spot and only went to the junkyard from there .....and last yr she ran over me and one of our neighbors with a golf cart by stepping on the gas instead of brake.....

im such a terrible guy to keep her from getting one of those scooters!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

joedrum":vwyzxq1z said:
yup my 15 yr old daughter wants one and cant figure out why i wont go for it .....this is the same daughter that when she was 3 tokk and van i had out of park and went down over the cliff where we lived and completly totaled the van .....when i got down the clift tosee if she was all right ...i knew see was okay when the first thing i herd was .....im in trouble and she still had her hands on the steering wheel .....thank god for the trees that broke the stait fall of that van ....the van died on the spot and only went to the junkyard from there .....and last yr she ran over me and one of our neighbors with a golf cart by stepping on the gas instead of brake.....

im such a terrible guy to keep her from getting one of those scooters!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
I dunno Joe, sound like self preservation to me! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Omega Man":38pepxed said:
It's kinda funny the way they lean way forward as if it will make them go faster. :smilie_happy:

~O~

LOL, yeah that is funny!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Once Saw one of them at a red light in the turn lane next to me ,
he came to a stop an just plop fell over looks like he forgot to put his feet down,
just toppled over like a domino
by the time I stoped laughing he had it back up
an we were on our way

gacatfish":3joegua0 said:
he came to a stop an just plop fell over looks like he forgot to put his feet down,
an we were on our way

Now that IS funneh! :hihihi:

Welcome GACatfish!

~O~

gacatfish":35xnd5ua said:
an we were on our way
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

That IS funny!!! And I guarantee you they thought they were in a car, since they had their feet on the floor!!! Dang....where's the youtube of that? I'd prolly PAY to see it! :smilie_happy: :hihihi: :smilie_happy: :hihihi:

Ive seem three well almost seen because two have no working front light and the third was so dim think he needed a new 9 volt battery in it . And yes wearing all the gear for a scooter flip flops shorts white tee and a big silly grin and having no idea how to ride it in town . one tryed to keep up with me didnt look behind him or use turn signals just changed lanes so at the next light i took off he was going to get hurt