Tire ate my brake line, oops. Stainless lines questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83gl1200

Reaction score
I have an 83 standard and was looking at getting the HEL kit. However my bike has short 2" rise euro sport handlebars. Should I see if they will make mine custom length to fit the bike better as is or just go with standard lines?

I've also read elsewhere here that some 83's are 10x1.25 and some are 10x1.0 coming off the hard lines. Not sure how to tell other than take something off the bike into a hardware store.

I was thinking HEL because they have stainless fittings rather than aluminum, and the kits seem to be 132 shipped, looked like a good deal. If there's a better deal, or better lines I should look at let me know.

If this bike had standard lines with banjo's on all fittings this could be a lot easier and cheaper. Is there an adapter I can buy to just convert the hard lines to banjo bolts on the ends? Then I could just just buy three off the shelf lines.

Probably best to get the right fit, 6 some inches is hard to deal with unless you can route the hose in a manner that is clean looking, it would be nice to have the option of different bars should you ever want to change and the standard length would give you the option, sounds like you have the standard length installed already, if you route it the same but without rubbing the tire you will be OK, 4-6 inches longer brake line wont make a difference in braking.

HEL will do custom line length. During my ordering process the subject came up. You tell them a length they will build it. I'm enjoying mine, took a lot of squish out of almost 30 yr old lines. I eliminated the rigid clutch section, one line all flex, easy enough to route.

Talk to lopeha, you'll find him on Steve Saunders forum mainly, he will fix you up, not the cheapest, but his stuff is 100% Stainless steel.

Met him last year in NC.

Be prepared for a fight when you install that rear hose, they will fit, but are not very forgiving.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152383#p152383:uaywhd43 said:
chilidawg » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 pm[/url]":uaywhd43]
Talk to lopeha, you'll find him on Steve Saunders forum mainly, he will fix you up, not the cheapest, but his stuff is 100% Stainless steel.

Met him last year in NC.

Be prepared for a fight when you install that rear hose, they will fit, but are not very forgiving.

What do you mean about rear hose fit? My 83 is a standard, looks like a straight shot from the end of the hard line to caliper as far as I can tell. (Mine never had the proper length hose, I put a front hose on the rear the first time around but it was so extra long I had to heavily tie wrap it around behind the battery. It lasted for a few months until it wiggled it's way between the swingarm and tire regardless of all the tie wraps I used.)

Well my new SS line turned right and then left across the swing arm pivot, and I fought it for hours, but eventually it went into all the regular hose clamps that run the standard hose run.

Latest posts