TIRE TROUBLES

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triwinger

Reaction score
Well I think I screwed up ?? I came across a "great" deal on e-bay for a new tire, I just received it and it's a tube type. is it OK to use this on a 1982 gl1100 stock rim? if so should I use a tube ? thanks for any info

triwinger":2w0h9xbx said:
Well I think I screwed up ?? I came across a "great" deal on e-bay for a new tire, I just received it and it's a tube type. is it OK to use this on a 1982 gl1100 stock rim? if so should I use a tube ? thanks for any info
The shape of the bead on the tire and the shape of the bead seat on the rim is where your problem is gonna be. I don't know if anybody does this, but I think I'd pass if it were me and get the correct tire to fit the rim. But then, I'm just a chicken.

Hi all, I have been running a tube type Metzler Block K on my 83 front wheel on the sidehack tug and running it tubeless. No problems for the last 10 years or so, about three or four tires and 10's of thousand of miles.....

After some debate on a sidecar forum though, I am giving that some definite attention and research. I won't go into it all but if I don't change it out to a tubeless motorcycle tire, I will at least run it with a tube....
I have no advice to you with whatever the tire is you bought but I would go with the wisdom here and be safe....
Brian

Thanks guys, for all the input, I sold the "tube type" tire on craigs list for the same $$ I bought it for to a guy restoring a 1971 BSA , today I'll order the RIGHT one...lol

I have put tubes in car and truck tires but those were tubeless tires on tubeless rims to begin with.

I'm not sure why I did it now.
Think it had something to do with keeping an old tire running longer if it had other damage that couldn't be repaired like on the sidewall.
Tire shops around here wouldn't even do that these days, too much liability.

It seems like we did that on off road tires also for better holding of air when aired way down.
In the sand and serious rock crawling I'd go down to 5 lbs.

I was thinking along the lines of less chance for an actual "blow-out" and having more of a leak instead....just to have more control over the bike if the front tire fails.....I don't know if that is sound thinking or not...
Brian

What is the difference between tubeless-only tire and tubeless/tube tire?
Like Bridgestone Spitfire 11F I use for my XS750. It says tubeless/tube.
I used it with/without tube. XS's cast-wheel changed from tube to tubeless around 1980. But the only difference is that the cast became non-porous. The bead seat on the rim is exactly the same.

I drank lots too, I had so much fun doing it too..Not so much now..What are brain cell's anyway??? :smilie_happy:

Latest posts