tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:headscratch:
Well now.....I'm the LAST person to give advice on tires for a 'Wing, but....why the heck would you want to use a tire designed for the rear, on the front? Seems like the tread pattern, and sidewall construction would create a big issue with the steering. I mean...there's a reason they are listed as "front" or "rear". Unless I've missed the memo on them working in either location....
Why not just get a Shinko designed for the front to begin with? Just askin... :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171663#p171663:2tkbqrm1 said:
AApple » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm[/url]":2tkbqrm1]
Well now.....I'm the LAST person to give advice on tires for a 'Wing, but....

Oh, no he didn't!
:smilie_happy:

It called double dark siding. Some even turn the tire backwards on the rim. The thought is the rear tire in stronger than the front tire so it will hold up better.

For instance. The Shinko's that I have on the 1200 Standard are weight rated as 67 for the front and 76 for the rear. On a full dresser, that 67 may not be enough.

Ok guys it seems a130 90 16 rear tire can be had for 60 dollars sinko 712 tire....front tire sinko 777 tire is 80 dollars....im sure the tire dosnt know. ...front from back ....tread seems the same ....

Can't say anything about the 777, but if I were you, I'd stay away from the 712 and look at the Tourmaster 230? I have used them both and prefer the 230 over the 712. With the 712 I was seeing between 5,000 and 6,000 miles and with the 230 I am seeing anywhere between 6,000 and 8,000 on the rear and about 12,000 on the front. If I were to put a 130/90-16 rear tire on the front, I am not sure what I would see, but I have been thinking about it also for the Standard. No chance of doing it to the 81 unless I change the front end.

Only the 230 for me as well.
Every time someone complains about Shinko it seems like they have used the performance tires on a heavy bike with poor results :(

Michelin Commander II's, cost a bit more but the wear is by far the best i've ever had. :yes: Handle very well, might get two rears to a front, :hihihi: like my Triumph did back when i was young.Almost always hammering it on take off, :roll: more than braking, hard to stop. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171671#p171671:2wu09n7t said:
Denver » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:36 pm[/url]":2wu09n7t]
Michelin Commander II's, cost a bit more but the wear is by far the best i've ever had. :yes: Handle very well, might get two rears to a front, :hihihi: like my Triumph did back when i was young.Almost always hammering it on take off, :roll: more than braking, hard to stop. :smilie_happy:

I have the Commander IIs on my 1200. So fare I like them a lot. I had them in the mountains of NC last summer and they felt very secure. Was riding 2 up loaded on the Aspy through some of the twistiest roads Ive ever seen. It was like the Dragons Tail, but everywhere you went. Crazy stuff.

Can't really comment on the Shinko tires. Ive never had em before.

Was speaking of Joe's getting two to one. :hihihi: Pulling the wheel in second gear's kinda hard on a rear tire. :whistling: So two to one factor, may come into the picture in some cases. :smilie_happy:

well still looking for tire for hooch ....tour master is what i had on front ...great tire ..had great deal on one but then the price jumped up big before i pulled the trigger ...my funds gun was empty ...if i find good deal on one ill get one ....right now back in fla a few days with my daughter down to visit me ...so will be looking ...hooch is in ga.

Understood about the cash factor all too well. :whistling: Only reason the commander II"s were brought into the mix was longevity, & handling factor. :yes: Rear tire follows the front tires lead, :hihihi: & if the rear has no drop off at tread line, should work well. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171663#p171663:20067e2r said:
AApple » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 am[/url]":20067e2r]
Well now.....I'm the LAST person to give advice on tires for a 'Wing, but....why the heck would you want to use a tire designed for the rear, on the front? Seems like the tread pattern, and sidewall construction would create a big issue with the steering. I mean...there's a reason they are listed as "front" or "rear". Unless I've missed the memo on them working in either location....
Why not just get a Shinko designed for the front to begin with? Just askin... :yes:
The Norton Commando used two "rear" tires(with the front tire mounted facing the other way), worked just fine. Not sure if that applies to something the size of a Wing.

Your talking old school stuff, :roll: works the same now as it did then. :smilie_happy:Stress is the reason, as you well know. :whistling: