Torque Specs Stator Cover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean the covers, I’ve checked both Clymer and Honda Service manual, neither give specific torque for them, but the size bolts call for 9 ft pounds.

I’ve learned my lesson on one of my sons bikes to use a inch torque wrench on the small bolts with such low value. The newer bikes use light weight aluminum screws and snap easily.
Foot pound wrench are not very accurate at low values, at least that’s the case with Harbor Freight wrench. Fortunately though, the Oldwing bolts and case threads are much more forgiving. I torque them by feel, but also important is to go around to each bolt a few times as the cover and gasket seats to be certain all of them are evenly tight.

Thanks Dan. I meant to say I had them at 9. I had this motor out a while back and had changed the gaskets then, but the clutch basket started to leak. I'll go around them again. After this is all back together again I'm going to sell the bike. Want to use the money to buy a Corvette I've had my eyes on.

Maybe someone here is interested??? I'll put a thread in the right place at that time. Pretty bike with low mileage and lower mileage motor. God knows I've thrown parts at it.

I did mine recently using an inch pounds torque wrench, set it at 120 in/lbs. (10 ft./lbs.).

That seemed to be the consensus amongst the tables I saw for 5mm bolts.

It's a pretty cheap one though and I felt like the click wasn't consistent, so now I'm doing it by feel using a regular 1/4" ratchet.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208616#p208616:r8mwuptd said:
chilidawg » Today, 8:22 am[/url]":r8mwuptd]
I did mine recently using an inch pounds torque wrench, set it at 120 in/lbs. (10 ft./lbs.).

That seemed to be the consensus amongst the tables I saw for 5mm bolts.

It's a pretty cheap one though and I felt like the click wasn't consistent, so now I'm doing it by feel using a regular 1/4" ratchet.
Exactly.

Even though this HF wrench has been pretty consistent, I’m still leery on his sport bikes bolts, so I tighten the little bolts in 2 passes setting the wrench lower on the first pass then set it to the final torque on the last pass and eeeezzz into that final click to be sure I feel it.
Very unnerving the thought of damaging a $10k+ engine. We will eventually invest in a inch and foot pound digital torque wrench. I suppose the good quality hold their calibration better and more trust worthy?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208619#p208619:cvksgeg6 said:
joedrum » Today, 4:36 pm[/url]":cvksgeg6]
Yah anymore I’m all feel period ...my last motor work I had no torque at all for anything ...not suggesting that just saying what I did
Feel is fine, to an extent. With “smart hands” you can “feel” the tightness when it’s right or not, and when I’m without with no other choice....I make due with what I have. Torque feel comes from a lifetime of wrenching experience. On oldwngs, the only bolts I’ve ever used a torque wrench on are the head bolts.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208622#p208622:oyk20yfd said:
dan filipi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 pm[/url]":eek:yk20yfd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208619#p208619:oyk20yfd said:
joedrum » Today, 4:36 pm[/url]":eek:yk20yfd]
Yah anymore I’m all feel period ...my last motor work I had no torque at all for anything ...not suggesting that just saying what I did
Feel is fine, to an extent. With “smart hands” you can “feel” the tightness when it’s right or not, and when I’m without with no other choice....I make due with what I have. Torque feel comes from a lifetime of wrenching experience. On oldwngs, the only bolts I’ve ever used a torque wrench on are the head bolts.

Be careful Dan! I got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands and elbows from wrenching my whole life, cost me thousands to fix, even with that "good insurance"!!

Latest posts