"Training" Wheels...anybody ever used them?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
click image for link

I'm really looking to find some way Mama can enjoy riding in some other way than just being a backrest. I've been sorta looking for a smaller bike to get her...something that's not too heavy for her to handle. Perhaps a 500-750 range.
Then...I remember seeing a set-up like this one last summer on a 'Wing, and I am intrigued by the whole concept. This would allow Mama to drive the Wing from the front seat, instead of the back seat. :smilie_happy:
Anyone have any experience with these "training wheels"(my term)? :?:

:cool!: A friend of mine put one of these on his 93 or 94 Interstate, took him awhile to get use to the difference, kinda limits you when you get into the twisty's when you are use to riding without them. He still tries to got to fast into the turns and although he is still riding on 3 wheels sometimes it's the 2 on the back and the one on the front with his wife slapping him on the back of the helmet telling him to get that last wheel back on the ground. I myself have not ridden it and don't know how it feels to drive a bike verses riding a bike.

But as far as the system that you have posted it's pretty simple to put on and take off, at least that's what the 76 yr. old guy that rides the above said bike has told me.
Winger 82

Mama has informed me that even WITH training wheels, the 'Wing is too big, and...."scary"... :shock: :head bang:

no dan being considered the motorcycle gang band that plays all kinds of bikedeals and showing up on a wing is foolish but im always winning them over with my drumming or my ignorance to the situation could be either . bikers harley guys there good people and i realy never had a problem im just clowning around

scdmarx, Thank you!! for posting that link. I have a good friend who lost a leg last fall and has given up on ever being able to ride again. I will pass this link on to him, I think it will put him back on two wheels, which is something he really needs to do. Thanks again! . Steve.

There are some cool looking bikes at the above first post. If you are looking into a trike you should check them out.

ebanjo":tylkoc87 said:
There are some cool looking bikes at the above first post. If you are looking into a trike you should check them out.
BTW... Welcome to the forum... from North TEXAS DFW area.. please do post in new members.. folk want to say howdy do to you..

With matching paint, they can be made to look pretty integrel to your bike. Here're a couple of 'Wing 1200s from the manufacturer's website:
https://www.mtcvoyager.com/gallery/11-ho ... =component
https://www.mtcvoyager.com/gallery/11-ho ... =component

I had a brief ride using one while contemplating the purchase of an '86 Aspencade SEi, and it didn't put me off at all (the 'must fix now' fork seals did). Your lean is minimized, so you've got to push/pull the handlebars to turn, but I suspect we can all learn that, especially if we ever have driven one of those automobile thingys. And, because your motorcycle back wheel is your drive wheel, but lean has been eliminated, you tend to have to anticipate 'push', or understeer.
I think the folks who have problems with them don't pay enough attention to the fact the wheels/shocks on them are adjustable, and can be made to minimize bouncing through turns at speed with proper adjustment.

I know this post is a little 'old', but i have to tell a story here after seeing that pic. My wifes cousin and I went to a bike run in NM, and on our way thru town, I saw this bike coming down the road and clearly appeared to be pullling a trailer behind. As the bike passed by, LOW and behold, hes not pulling a trailer, hes got a (what I thought to be) homemade trike with a really, really wide set of back wheels...BUT wait a minute!! A doubletake shows hes got four wheels!!!! Turns out, the guy added from frame work, and trailer spindles and wheels on the ends, attached them to the swingarm of such, and basically has... A SET OF TRAINING WHEELS!!!

AApple: Let other half know that my 4"10" 145lb wife started on a 150 scooter just over two years ago and then we got a 250 rebel for her last year and last month I got her an '83 wing with that Voyager kit and she loves it. She has weak bones and a bad back but after about 100 miles of slow back roads she is ready for anything and prefers it over the rebel for rides over 20 miles. Trixie(her bike) has a few problems which I am working on so I have to keep her keys or take it to work with me to keep her off it until it is right. Not bad since 2 years ago I got her on back of my Harley ultra for first time. I got tired of the Harley burning me and she got tired of watching me have all the fun:).