Trike Build Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles franz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question, If we are looking at the back of a trike with a Mustang rear end, and we are going up the road and hit a deep pot hole with the right rear wheel, the right side goes down and the left stays level, the swing arm is standard, what part gives? The shock will give to the upper part of the frame, I do not under stand what gives, There are only two swing arm bearings that hold all of the stress, but are not designed for the independit horizontal movement, Will this cause a stress crack in one of the weakest areas of the build? I am not a mechanical eng. Seems like an awful lot of stress on two swing arm bearings? Just saying, Welding all the frame work for the axle to the thin swingarm, seems like there is something else could be done in this area. In the best world it wood be to use the independit rear axle, but many have used the Mustang axle, Have you folks that have done this, had any problems in this area? Thanks Charlie in NC

Not really sure how this thing is attached to the bike, but if you're talking about a live/solid axle diff, if one side moves...the other side has to move also. Are there pics of this set-up? :headscratch:

I think some builders use a type of independent suspension... the Volkswagen transaxle is one... no dye what California sidecar doors.. some homebuilt trikes don't and they get some bounce because of the solid setup.
Not speaking a definite fact here.. revenge this was started as "I think..." lol

Isn't a Mustang rear supported by leaf springs?
In which case there isn't any 'swingarm' I'm aware of.
Maybe I'm not understanding the question. Wouldn't be the first time. :Doh2:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113205#p113205:8fxyg1p7 said:
charles franz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am[/url]":8fxyg1p7]
the swing arm is standard,...... I do not under stand what gives, There are only two swing arm bearings that hold all of the stress, but are not designed for the independit horizontal movement, ....

Had to read it slower, but I figured it out! The Mustang rear is attached to the stock GL swing arm. So the question is....how does one side go up/down(on a pothole/speedbump) but not the other without stressing the swingarm. If one side goes up/down like that, then it is definitely going to create a vertical twisting motion on the stock GL swingarm that is NOT designed for that. Sooner or later, something is going to break.... :crying: Seems like it would also pitch the bike to that side....

Ok that explains why "swingarm" was used.

Hmm, yeah.
There certainly would be a twisting of the metal it isn't designed to do. Something will break if enough twist is there but tilting of the bike must be what happens here.
I would think even small bumps is going to twist the swingarm some.

I wonder if you could cut the swingarm crossover tube and use a sleeve and bushings to hold it together. Each arm could then pivot independantly. There would still be some twist in the arms, so they would need to be attached to the axle housing with rubber mounts. An independant rear suspension is really the best way to go. The bike's gonna sway no matter what you do, just like any 4 wheeled vehicle would.

I think there are two levels of support there, your leaf springs and your air shocks....not for sure on this, just trying to think of the past images i have in my head. Maybe you have no air, if you have air shocks, of maybe the springs are broke....could be both....or something else broke....I would really check under it good and see if there are any difference or both sides somewhere.

I should just keep my fingers shut because I know nothing about trikes, but if I understand the question, because it is three wheeled, the one side axle goes down but the whole trike now tips to the low side because there is just one point in the front, the front wheel. If there were two wheels, like a car, it would be different...????

OK fellows I want to thank you for all of the replies, I have been looking at all of the sites to do a trike build, I am 64 and have lost 80% of my strength [since high school] I want to go the 3 wheel route, as it is hard for me to handle the full dressed 1100i! I want this build to be safe and not have to worry about any problems!! [next bump] With all of the knowledge on this site, I know we can make something safe and effective!! Thanks Charlie in NC

I'm not at all knowledgable about trikes but have a friend who is in a somewhat similar situation as you. He has injuries from Viet Nam that have finally caught up to him. His wife loves to ride with him and he doesn't feel safe on his bike on two wheels and wanted to go trike. He and I both have heard negatives about the Voyager type conversions but he found this company in Alabama and says they handle much better and are much cheaper. We're taking his bike down in the near future as soon as he lines up a date to have it installed. (I have a trailer that will carry it) I think he bought the Jr model but not sure. He is also getting the rake kit which from everything I've read is a must.
Not sure if this helps you and I can't say anything good or bad about any of them.
www.kitonit.com

Hi Charlie, don't know if it will help but it sounds like your axle is similar to my Morris one. If you follow the posts you will see how I have tackled the problem, but obviously, I won't know if it will work until I hit the road.
Like you I can no longer handle a full size bike and anything else is to me not worth it.

thanks for posting my build pictures guys , mine is finished , and i have put some miles on it , only one little thing still that i need to work out , my Reverse is too fast , and since its a Starter , it has to either start out slow and build up to speed or , spin the tires when it kicks in , but my wife's uncle who helped me with this build ,has passed away since the Trike build was finished , but he did draw me up some plans on how to slow the starter down , and still run on full 13.5 Volts , and as strong as it is now , except it turns slower . . . he was a SMART Man , my best friend , and we all miss him.

i am sorry to hear that ... skill hands people to me are priceless ...his shoes were filled with true american hero ...there are no words i can think of ...that really measures the great people among us ....true greatness is hidden in plain sight to all ....most dont see it that way ...i do

Latest posts