two problems, higher idle and to much heat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
ok, so I am wondering if the two are connected. But after my first coolant flush (had to do a few with in a month because of one thing or an other) Bear started idling higher. I know it has been hot, but lately even during the cool nights the bike seems to be a lot hotter then it should be. the two spots that seem to be the hottest are the left side where the heat sink is located under the false tank, and also I notice it really lights my butt on fire (so to speak).

I turned down the idle, about 1/3 quarter turn back, and I have been checking to see if my fan stays on constantly (thankfully it doesn't). So far I have had one response from my buddy (who is my main mechanic and is unfortunately in prison) who said i should check for a bleeder screw for an air pocket. I have done a coolant flush a few times, and it has been like that since the first.

Any ideas on what to check for (keep in mind i am some what mechanically inclined to a degree)?

We'll higher idle and heat normally are not related unless there is a vacuum leak?

It's possible to have some trapped air in the cooling system which could slow or stop flow, not likely though.
I find after a couple heating cooling cycles with a working coolant recovery and no leaks, will purge air out of the system.

The coolant recovery tank has a plastic hose that goes to the bottom of the tank. Sometimes it breaks off in the tank and coolant only goes in and bleeds out of the tank but never goes back to radiator because the hose is broken. If air is not bleeding out and coolant able to go back in, the engine will run hot.

the two spots that seem to be the hottest are the left side where the heat sink is located under the false tank, and also I notice it really lights my butt on fire (so to speak). ........
too much hot sauce on the taco?? :shock:

I would be checking for any air leaks like Dan said for the increased idle speed ( spray carby cleaner etc around the intake pipes etc and listen for an increase in idle speed). If there is a leak you may be running lean which will cause an increase in operating temperature and could eventually lead to engine failure. I still believe that the only way you can be sure of the efficiencies of you radiator is if it is professionally cleaned and/or tanks removed to look for blocked tubes.

Check your vacuum advance and hose for leaks. Leaks will cause it to idle faster and burn leaner (hotter).

Latest posts